Function/cover band number of guitarists

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I much prefer the space that you get from being the only guitarist in a band, with or without a keyboard. To me, the advantages of having two guitars to play different parts are outweighed by the considerable effort required to work out those parts, divvy them between the players, and then play them without musical toe-treading.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    slacker said:
    I was Tom he was Mike.
    I’d always rather be Mike in that context. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    slacker said:
    I was Tom he was Mike.
    I’d always rather be Mike in that context. 
    I'm nice like that :)
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I think I'll stick to a rock covers band then eh! I've always played in 2 guitar original bands so joining a covers band as the sole guitarist would be very different for me.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    3 would be the correct answer - which is why so many are so meh ;)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited June 2019
    p90fool said:

My experience generally with people who play "school" instruments on a semi-pro or amateur basis is that they have no idea how a band works and zero initiative. 

I assume by ‘school’ instruments that you mean people who have learnt things like, say, trumpet or flute in dedicated trumpet or flute lessons (usually during or after school).

If so, then I agree. They usually insist on playing the melody (loudly) in unison with the vocals, rather than giving the singer space to do his or her job. No idea of playing fills or when to back off a bit.

I’m sure that when I was starting out on guitar that I probably overplayed, but as soon as I got together with others then I soon learnt to play less, and certainly learnt that giving the singer enough room was a huge part of how things should be done. (I tend to like players like The Edge or Keith Richards who see their job as supporting the singer.) Unfortunately there are some people that never learn this.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    We have 2 guitars, bass, drums, and 3 vocalists.  We have a good laugh but even the best gigs like NYE are only £50 each.  Won't be giving up my day job.  Basic keys would be really useful though.  Listen to anything which is even vaguely 'current' and you'll probably hear a piano.  The other guitarist and I sometimes play as a duo which means we're learning to compliment each other quite well.  The worst thing is when two guitarists play the same thing.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I've always liked playing in two guitar bands so long as you have your shit together working out the parts is fun. My band is six piece bass, drums, two guitars and two singers. Male singer is also a good bass player so that can get us out of trouble. Female singer also plays sax and percussion. So it is quite a flexible situation as we can gig with either singer or both. Falling into the same territory as @Lestratcaster ; I do a bit of backing vocals.
    It is rare that both guitars play the same chord inversion and we both play solos.
    Don't touch that dial.