Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Discussion

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
Comrades!

While trying to purify myself of the fiendish diktats of GAS addiction, now Game of Thrones has finished I find my fickle attention straying towards these lovely looking artefacts: not the LP Junior types, but rather the Les Paul Standard Doublecut models that seem to have been in production only sporadically.

I'm pondering whether for improved upper-fret access and weight relief, while preserving 'proper' Gibbo tone and appointments one of these might be the ratherest thing.  Has anyone got/had/played one that can pass comment?  I suppose for something that looks like a fantastic compromise, my biggest question is why they haven't been in production regularly and why to they seem so uncommon.  Is there some major flaw in the recipe that I'm missing?

As ever, all observations gratefully received.  Here's a pic of one I'm perving over, to add interest and dramatic tension.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Following with keen interest. Aside from the 24 frets I've always thought they look basically perfect. I'd maybe have the control layout more LP Jr and less PRS, but that's hardly a dealbreaker.

I assume LP Standard guys are a bit too "singlecut purist", DC Special guys want P90s, SG guys want lightweight and contouring and PRS guys don't care about Gibsons? 

I guess this new one is the closest - quite similar spec apart from the lack of carved top. I want one! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    @stickyfiddle is that one of the new Custom Shop jobs?  Looks vaguely reminiscent of the ?1960 ish LP SG thingie that Keith Richards had.  Gorgeous either way.

The 'Standard' jobs I'm looking at seem to be between about £1200 - £1400 ish used, based on the 3 or 4 that are available from a cursory interweb search.  Time to start selling, again :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Yeah, they look a really nice spec. I'd love a goldtop or blacktop one. A chunky bit more than 1200 though :( 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Goldtop looks fantastic. The custom shop is let down by that ugly pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I reckon a PRS DGT or double-cut McCarty 594 would be a much better guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    I've always loved the DC LP. Even though I can't find a LP I can comfortably live with, the DC is my fave body. 

I have sated myself with a Martyn Booth Special which I see every day. 

DC all the way and the Gold Top is very nice indeed.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 828
    edited May 2019
    JerkMoans said:
    .... my biggest question is why they haven't been in production regularly and why to they seem so uncommon.  Is there some major flaw in the recipe that I'm missing?

I've often wondered this to as to me they look the perfect design.

I still ponder how Fender and Gibson got it so right, so long ago: )
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    I've got one of the ones from that run in 1998. It's my go-to guitar, but the neck pickup position is different (obvs), and the lighter weight - while welcome - means it doesn't feel the same as a traditional LP at all. But with Voodoo PAFs in place of the original ceramics, I love it.

On the neck pickup position, it's not that it sounds 'wrong' it's just that being closer to the bridge pickup, there is also less tonal difference when switching. Add the fact that there's shared Tone and Volume pots, and some of the things you are used to on a traditional LP are not so readily available.

Ron Thorn's Artisan series were LP Jr derived and more like a LP layout (although you could order just about any pickup/bridge combination): http://www.thornguitars.com/galleryhtm/dcgroup001-050.htm - he used an especially long tenon to compensate for the pickup routing and neck joint.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Just buy a PRS and be done with it.

These don't feel or sound any more like a single-cut LP than a PRS does. The combination of the longer neck, different neck pickup position, and only one set of controls (which changes the pickup loading in the middle position drastically, as well as meaning you can't blend the pickups), make it further away from a classic Les Paul than a 22-fret PRS is. Neither one thing nor the other, there is a reason why they never sell well and are only produced sporadically.

The one in your pic also has snot green inlays, which are foul.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2528

I think this ^^^ might even sway me to the dark side !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lovestrat74 said:

It certainly is much nicer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    If I had more money and space I'd love to have this guitar back again:

A Tak Matsumoto DC Custom albeit the Epiphone version. I liked the none symmetrical double cut aesthetic and the weight loss over a single cut Custom.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    abw1989 said:

A Tak Matsumoto DC Custom albeit the Epiphone version. I liked the none symmetrical double cut aesthetic and the weight loss over a single cut Custom.
    QC isn't up to much though - someone totally forgot to fit the bridge pickup tone control. Friday Afternoon job...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    lovestrat74 said:

It certainly is much nicer.
    Not nice enough for the £3.5K asking price.

This is how you know you are old isn't it, when you start complaining about the price of things?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    ICBM said:

The one in your pic also has snot green inlays, which are foul.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5273
    long shot but I have a rather tasty Novo Serus J in the classifieds
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Have a look at the Trogley's video that appeared on youtube this week for discussion of the DC LP....
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    I LOOOOVVEEE double cuts..  a lot of my builds are DCs..
    With Gibson DCs, I like them when they are based on the original DC where the last fret is in line with the body (like the flamey one and the DC Special (which I have).. They play really well..  Gibson have done many different versions now.. Sometimes the fretboard goes further in making those last few frets really hard to get at which I also think doesn't look as nice either and makes the pickup be a bit nearer to the bridge one.

As for why they don't make more.. Im not sure.. If they made a USA version of that flamey DC I reckon they would sell a boat load.. As far as I am concerned its the best shape. Its probably the same reason that they don't make as many Explorers and Firebirds..  Cos Les Pauls and SGs sell more.. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    You want a late 70's early 80's Hamer :)

https://i.imgur.com/oyXX0sW.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom