Mods that de-value?

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 900
I have been looking at a preowned ES Les Paul that has a lot of mods.
New "better" pickups, Bigsby with Vibramate and new "better" tuners.
Do these actually de-value the guitar for re-sale, even though they are improvements?
Or do they boost it's value?
Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Mods generally provide no added value.

Unless it's a kahler or a Floyd, then it's a devaluation
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 671
    edited May 2019
    Unless they are something really subjective (like the Bigsby) I generally get the impression that upgrades neither add or detract money, they just seem to act as if they aren't there price wise.

I mean they might increase the value by £20 or so on a lower end guitar but nothing drastic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72672
    It depends, but they definitely restrict the potential market. All-original is always the easiest sale.

"Better" pickups are neither one thing nor the other unless the originals are included, in which case they may increase it slightly.

The Bigsby *may* increase the value slightly because it's an expensive thing in its own right, but removing it - even fitted with a Vibramate - can leave marks on the finish so may not be possible without devaluing the rest of the guitar.

"Better" tuners reduce the value if the originals can't be put back without leaving visible extra screw holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If the mods were of significant added value the person selling would have probably stripped them and sold them separately. IMO id buy as close to stock and do any mods yourself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Certain mods might make me more likely to buy a particular guitar over another similar one... I MIGHT pay a bit more, but not much- the upgrades are second hand & devalued accordingly. 

A Compton/TruArc on a Gretsch or a Staytrem/Mastery would make me more confident that the previous owner knew what they were doing (& save me doing it). 
    There are FAR too many examples of Triggers Broom out there- I’m not paying £250 for a Squier Affinity strat, I don’t care WHAT you’ve done to it. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    @digitalscream - he's a right energy sapper.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Mods/upgrades are for your own personal entertainment, they have zero effect on used prices....

Unless it’s a belt sander relic job, in which case the guitar is worthless. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11354
    A crap guitar with different pickups may just be a louder crap guitar.

• grayngrayn Frets: 900
    Some very helpful info there.
    I am more concerned about loss of value from mods, than increase.
    From what I've read here and the quality of the "upgrades", to the guitar in question, it seems they shouldn't reduce the value, though may restrict who would want to buy it.
    Cheers.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 594
    All mods, unless changed back to normal, devalue more than an unmodified version.
    It might sell quicker with better pickups etc , but I don’t think they’re worth more. Either as much, or less, than unmodified. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    All mods, unless changed back to normal, devalue more than an unmodified version.
    It might sell quicker with better pickups etc , but I don’t think they’re worth more. Either as much, or less, than unmodified. 
    I think it can make a marginal positive difference on budget guitars.  If you have a Squier and put good pickups in, it might add £25 to the value - but you might have spent £150 on the pickups!  You are better off taking the good pickups out, restoring it to stock and selling separately.

On a higher end guitar, I don't think reversible mods like pickups changes devalue the guitar if you use good pickups.  For some guitars they would be desirable for me.  I'd rather have a set of Oil CIty pickups than Gibson 57 Classics or a lot of PRS stock pickups.  The pickups won't add any value though, unless you do something mad like put in original PAFs.  Again you will get better money restoring it to stock and selling the PAFs separately.

Anything non-reversible that involves drilling new holes will devalue though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I was looking at a guitar for sale on here and there was something about a mod to the electrics 'that I do to all my guitars' or something to that effect. It might indeed be a brilliant thing to do or it might be a bodge job I've no way of knowing bought sight unseen and no circumstance to try the super mod against an original. So what was being sold as an improvement might be an expensive trip to a guitar repair shop somewhere down the line for me. On the other hand 'recent set up and improved electrics by Feline Guitars' might add value or at least a reason why I'd buy that guitar over a similar one for sale elsewhere. So, it depends, but on the whole I don't see them as adding value.     
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader
    One issue to consider is that if you have say a nice LP - Then add say £300's worth of boutique pick-ups, it is certainly not to be assumed you have made it £300 more attractive - As you have actually taken out £200's worth of original pick-ups - So many mods are personal adjustments and not actual upgrades

As for devaluations - Taking any vintage based guitar out of this - Direct replacements will have less of a price impact - Any structural adjustment can almost certainly be deemed a devaluation - Of course it depends how well it is done and what it looks like after

There is not a dedicated specific answer to devaluation - Few upgrades actually add any genuine price increase - Certainly not an increase that reflects the costs of the components that you've purchased to 'hot rod' the guitar

I've seen examples whereby the best bet is to strip it all down and sell it for parts - I've seen work that has enriched the guitars desirability