Plans For An Extension

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375

Get a good builder, one that is either known to you personally that you can trust or one that comes recommended and work can be verified.

Keep on top of it and make sure you get what you want because all trades are well known to a) blame the last trade that was in before them if they 'say' they cannot do it the way you want, or that it won't work like that because chippy/brickie/sparkle etc didn't do x,y,a. And b) take the easiest route not necessary the actual path to completing their job.

Good advice. Try to find a builder via word of mouth if at all possible, Checkatrade et al have their uses but the scores can be rigged. Whatever, ask for references and physically visit sites of the builder’s previous jobs. Talk to the previous clients, see if they were happy and if any snags came up, whether the guy was good at problem solving, whether he finished the job properly and on time.

We found our builder this way and he did a good job (despite the fact we discovered he got convicted as a paedophile a couple of years after finishing our job, but that’s a different story :o ). Ask the builder if he has a team of regular trades that he uses, then you won’t get the issues mentioned ^  about passing the buck. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12339
    Oh and of course agree on a price and recieve confirmation that the price wont go up due to unforsen xyz, our builder did that with us even though inariably there will be some unforseens.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    "Get a good builder, one that is either known to you personally that you can trust or one that comes recommended and work can be verified."

While you are out, can you pick me up a packet of fried chicken lips?

:) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Oh and of course agree on a price and recieve confirmation that the price wont go up due to unforsen xyz, our builder did that with us even though inariably there will be some unforseens.
    I would say that is the exception, not the norm.  It is advisable to have 15% as contingencies in case of delays and unforeseen circumstances.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    OK, so I've just had what I'd call a "proper architect" over.

This is what he reckons,according to his quote.

Town Planning phase = £900 plus VAT
    Building Reg phase = £600 plus VAT.

That doesn't account for the actual application fees:

Town Planning Application = £260
    Lawful Development = £103
    Building Regulation Application = £900

That doesn't include any requirement for structural survey/engineer if required, or party wall work - both probably not needed.

So that's over 3k with VAT.  

That seems high.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I thought you said the extension falls within permitted development so why the planning application fees?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited May 2019
    Submitting a planning application for an extension is not that difficult, why not do it yourself and get someone to do just the drawings. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    MrBump said:
    OK, so I've just had what I'd call a "proper architect" over.

This is what he reckons,according to his quote.

Town Planning phase = £900 plus VAT
    Building Reg phase = £600 plus VAT.

That doesn't account for the actual application fees:

Town Planning Application = £260
    Lawful Development = £103
    Building Regulation Application = £900

That doesn't include any requirement for structural survey/engineer if required, or party wall work - both probably not needed.

So that's over 3k with VAT.  

That seems high.
    Sounds reasonable. I'd expected him not to offer too much in terms of design for that though, he'll just draw a box, specify the materials. It's a lot of work as you'll find out if you do it yourself. He will have to be insured and run an office etc, he won't be driving a Rolls at that level.

I can't emphasise enough to make sure you get your permissions for planning / pd / building control. I have a million stories about jobs I have looked at where the house is without valid insurance or unsellable due to permission not having the certification. 

One guy had been paying £500 a year in household insurance for 13 years on a house without building regs. On my suggestion he called his insurance company to check if it would be valid and they said absolutely not. Made my fees seem very cheap. I've got another story about a guy having to demolish £100k of building in Brighton because he didn't get planning permission and was in a conservation area. 

It's you house. Do it right!

Just so you’re aware. On the party wall thing, once your planning permission goes in you’ll get bombarded with calls/emails offering party wall inspections, policies and/or advice. They’re like the ambulance chasers if you happen to have an accident, bloody vultures. 
    Jimbro66 said:
    I thought you said the extension falls within permitted development so why the planning application fees?
    Yeah - but that's only £260.  Permitted Dev still has a ~£150 fee.
    Mark de Manbey

I think what shocked me the most was the grand for the building regs... But I suppose that covers the cost of the application, plus the council/contractor actually visiting the site to carry out the checks?
    Mark de Manbey

MrBump said:
    I think what shocked me the most was the grand for the building regs... But I suppose that covers the cost of the application, plus the council/contractor actually visiting the site to carry out the checks?
    I guess so. We tend to consider the building inspector as being a pain in the backside but when you consider they’re checking the builder isn’t taking shortcuts on materials, specs, footings, drainage etc etc and doing the job properly then they’re actually working for you. Definitely worth the outlay. 
  • MrBump said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Yeah - but that's only £260.  Permitted Dev still has a ~£150 fee.

One thing to remember that submitting an application or a Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed Development, which asks for confirmation if the proposed extension would be a permitted development, which would have a £103 fee (half of the normal planning fee), is not compulsory. If you are satisfied that if falls within the limitations and is a permitted development, there is no official requirement for a certificate to show this. It's your right to build it without asking for permission.

A certificate does formally confirm the position though, so if you want to play it safe, and help with future sales etc, it's useful

Another option, if your local planning authority provides a service, is to request pre-application advice as to whether the extension needs permission, to which you would receive written confirmation, not sure about England but in Wales the fee is only £30.