Multi-FX for mod & delay?

What's Hot
JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
I'm looking to simplify my gear, and thinking that a multiFX may be a good option to use combined with my drive pedals.  Ideally small, and simple to use, and great sounding.  If it has good drive/distortion that'd be a bonus, but I'm happy using what I have for that.

I started looking around, and am frankly overwhelmed at the various options, so some helpful guidance would be most welcome.
my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Zoom MS70CDR. Same size as a regular pedal, sounds awesome and readily available second hand for around fifty quid.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    What's your budget ?
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    No limit in particular, just looking for the best solution.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited May 2019
    I see a lot of love for the MS70CDR and have done for the past few years - but live it'll be a complete pain in the ass.

For anyone who has owned/tried both...is the quality the same between the MS70CDR and the G3n? Obviously the G3n is bigger but not much more expensive s/h, and would be much easier to use than the MS70CDR with more features.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    HX fx will have all the effects you could want, And the option to run more than one at once. The drives are not to everyone's liking but might be enough for you. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    For live possibly a Line 6 M9, I'm not sure I'd buy one new now but they aren't silly money used. Some people like the drives, some don't.
    For non live use the Zoom as above or the Line 6 M5. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    For messing about at home the MS70CDR is great, as already suggested. For live use I'd personally look elsewhere. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Eventide H9?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    HX Stomp?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Hx  by far.  
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Zoom MS70CDR. Same size as a regular pedal, sounds awesome and readily available second hand for around fifty quid.

This ^^^^
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    For those, Keeley Dark Side would do a great job

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• longilongi Frets: 95
    Line 6 M9, Zoom MS70CDR, G3, anything by Boss. There loads of other manufacturer's out there that are very good and loads of older multi fx's too. You don't have to spend lots to get lots  

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Jalfrezi said:
    The best solution is the HX Stomp, imho. A superb device, and im getting closer to think that for ‘live’ work, it may even be able to replace my delays and verb pedals....
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    Is it the right thing to do?  If you're playng with a few discrete sounds or in a fixed sequence in a set, it's likely a good route.

But, if you're playing random stuff, at home or jammimg, you may well be better off wit the variety of things that you can switch on and off at will.
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    I\ve been giving this a lot of thought, and looking at the suggestions above.  I think a Multi-FX and a couple of drive pedals is what I need/want, but think I will keep a decent range of pedals at home for a year or two, and see how it goes.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jalfrezi said:
    The best solution is the HX Stomp, imho. A superb device, and im getting closer to think that for ‘live’ work, it may even be able to replace my delays and verb pedals....
    I really think for fx the line 6 range is average.
    I'd take eventide and fractual fx8 over it and in some cases even boss (and I don't think too highly of the boss sound either).
    I appreciate the fx8 isn't small but sound wise its brilliant  and I would happily replace my drive pedals with it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I've used the MS70CDR live with no problems. Just have a few presets set up that you rotate between with the footswitch. You can make one of these blank - or as I do just feature the noise suppressor. 

• Jalfrezi said:
    I really think for fx the line 6 range is average.
    I'd take eventide and fractual fx8 over it and in some cases even boss (and I don't think too highly of the boss sound either).
    I appreciate the fx8 isn't small but sound wise its brilliant  and I would happily replace my drive pedals with it
    I agree, and you can get a used FX8 for a steal just now. The H9 has some delay algorithms with mod built into them as well so if you’re looking for something more compact I think that would be the way to go.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Boss ME50. You can puck up one for around £75. Built like a tank, battery and mains powered, great fx and reasonable distortions.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom