Tidy up my desk

John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
edited May 2019 in Studio & Recording
Currently have a little behringer mixer and a Steinberg UR22 routed to a mackie big knob so I can essentially switch between 2 set-ups.

1) Synths, Helix and bluetooth interface  in to mixer for playing/messing around
2) Recording interface for recording/mixing

either set-up routed to one of 2 pairs of monitors

What I want is one tidy 'thing' that replaces all the gubbins, a multi input soundcard with 2 seperate pairs of outputs or something.  Does such a ting exist?

Thinking a Presonus AR8 or zoom L-12 might do 90% of it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
    I use a Steinberg UR824.  8 inputs on combi (XLR / TRS) and 8 outputs (TRS) plus 2 independent headphone outs.  Only thing really missing is MIDI.  It allows direct monitoring and it has onboard rev which is really useful so that you can track things live vocals, with comfort reverb (not recorded to the track) with zero latency.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Musicwolf said:
    I use a Steinberg UR824.  8 inputs on combi (XLR / TRS) and 8 outputs (TRS) plus 2 independent headphone outs.  Only thing really missing is MIDI.  It allows direct monitoring and it has onboard rev which is really useful so that you can track things live vocals, with comfort reverb (not recorded to the track) with zero latency.
    Can I run multiple pairs of monitors without a controller?
    John_A said:
    Can I run multiple pairs of monitors without a controller?
    Good question.  I only use a single set and / or headphones (either of which I can mute independently).  I have a second stereo mix which I can run to one of my live mixers (to help me doing setups) but I've just had a look and, at first glance, it isn't obvious that I can switch easily between the two from Cubase's Control Room (at least not the way I was expecting to).  I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way but I'll have to read up.
    Actually, turned out to be very straight forward.  Up to 4 different sets of monitors available within Control Room + headhone mix.  Note, this is being done within the DAW so, if you are using something other than Cubase you'll need to check the manual.
    Using cubase so thanks for that.  Looks like a good option 
    Not cheap but I bought mine bundled with Cubase pro which made it quite reasonable.  My reason for choosing this was the direct monitoring with effects.  This in turn allows me to run my buffer at 2048 samples (51msec latency) meaning that I'm able to work with an off the shelf, PC World, desk top without problems.  If I want to use VST keys I either have to drop the buffer whilst recording, or, I'll monitor the audio output of my hardware synth whilst tracking, record the midi and playback through the VST.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Is the problem is space then you could add a shelf with Ikea capita legs. I have used a similar shelf for ages to hold my speakers and pc monitor and had rack gear etc underneath

No it’s not space, it’s just the number of devices and cables, looking for a neater solution
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    In my experience... you might already have a solution and be looking for a problem. 
    Well gone all-out with an Audient ID22 and ASP880  - That should do it!