Overrated players

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LonewolffLonewolff Frets: 67
    I honestly can't understand the hate for Rory Gallagher. He is one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    Lonewolff said:
    I honestly can't understand the hate for Rory Gallagher. He is one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived.
    All the speedy strat cats would have sounded much better with a different guitar. It really works for David Gilmour etc, but imagine Rory Gallagher on a P90 SG or something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    edited May 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Voxman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Gassage said:
    Brad Shields. All the hoohah and he's done fuck all at Wasps since he arrived.
    He's done a damn sight more than Soppy Wanger.

As for guitarists:
    Johnny Marr - seems like a nice chap and managed to be in a band with Morrissey and not kill him, but a bit of jingle-jangle plinky-plink isn't enough.

Totally agree 're Johnny Marr...I like him, and smiths stuff, but can't see why some folk rave about him.  Another is Pete Townshend...liked the Who, he's a great songwriter and a good bread and butter guitarist, but for me not a great guitarist.
    They're both very distinctive guitarists. I guess that's what helps distinguish the good from the mediocre..
    That's true...whilst a lot of guitarists can be technically brilliant, I agree that both JM and PT have a distinctive style that was a bit different in their day...probably more so with JM.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Schnozz said:
    Lonewolff said:
    All the speedy strat cats would have sounded much better with a different guitar. It really works for David Gilmour etc, but imagine Rory Gallagher on a P90 SG or something.
    I don't get your point there. Is it his tone you have a problem with?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12067
    Is this not in the wrong section?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Roy Buchanan sounds best with the mains turned off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Zoolooter said:
    Well that’s you off my Christmas card list 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Zoolooter said:
    And mine - Roy Buchanan was an exceptionally expressive player. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited May 2019
    Tone71 said:
    scrumhalf said:
    As for guitarists:
    Johnny Marr - seems like a nice chap and managed to be in a band with Morrissey and not kill him, but a bit of jingle-jangle plinky-plink isn't enough.

But his work in The The was sublime
    @Tone71 ;;Wis'd!

Also, take a listen to the three Johnny Marr solo albums (The Messenger, Playland, Call The Comet): decent writing, great sounds, and layers upon layers of awesome ideas. It would be time well spent

Cheers, on my list now 1 Might send me past the point of no return though especially with the current gas attack for a Jaguar
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3352
    Tone71 said:
    Tone71 said:
    scrumhalf said:
    As for guitarists:

But his work in The The was sublime
    @Tone71 ;;Wis'd!

Also, take a listen to the three Johnny Marr solo albums (The Messenger, Playland, Call The Comet): decent writing, great sounds, and layers upon layers of awesome ideas. It would be time well spent

Cheers, on my list now 1 Might send me past the point of no return though especially with the current gas attack for a Jaguar
    Yep...I read his book...then found a JM Jag by accident on Reverb...it *will* happen!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    No-one can ever please everyone.
    Doesn't it all depend on our perception of 'good'?
    I prefer very raw, punchy, energetic and inventive players. Some people like a smoother, more processed sound and others prefer something else again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    Rory Gallagher remains one of the greats in my estimation.  He wrung more music out that old Strat than was ever in it.  He was one of the great performers.  Anyone who saw him play live will attest to this.  Fretboard technician he was not.  Musician describes him perfectly.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Rory Gallagher remains one of the greats in my estimation.  He wrung more music out that old Strat than was ever in it.  He was one of the great performers.  Anyone who saw him play live will attest to this.  Fretboard technician he was not.  Musician describes him perfectly.
    Agreed 100%. Playing live and touring was what Rory was all about. The production on his records could probably have been better but as he said himself, he didn’t care about getting in the top 10. He did things on his own terms.
  • Chris Buck I find way overrated and personally I find him very annoying to watch 
    Zoolooter said:
    To make matters worse he has an extra screeching, ear bleeding signature set of pickups!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXZLCwacPzo
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Zoolooter said:
    Zoolooter said:
    To make matters worse he has an extra screeching, ear bleeding signature set of pickups!

He isn't going to be using them much.
    Philly_Q said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Zoolooter said:

He isn't going to be using them much.
    Thank fuck!
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    edited May 2019
    I was once given a CD by Walter Trout, and told he was going to be the next big thing. Brilliant technical playing, but lacked feeling to me. Once you had heard one track they all sounded the same. It's as if the songs had become just a vehicle for him to play the lead break over.

With Clapton for example the songs are always sung and played with feeling IMHO, although lots don't like him either.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Charlie Watts
    When logic and proportion
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Mark1960 said:
    I was once given a CD by Walter Trout, and told he was going to be the next big thing. Brilliant technical playing, but lacked feeling to me. Once you had heard one track they all sounded the same. It's as if the songs had become just a vehicle for him to play the lead break over.

With Clapton for example the songs are always sung and played with feeling IMHO, although lots don't like him either.
    I saw Walter Trout at the Rockin' the Blues gig on Tuesday, I must admit that I agree. He's clearly a talented player and apparently several years ago he very nearly died, needed a liver transplant and suffered brain damage from it that forced him to re learn walking, talking and playing the guitar so hats off to that but I kept thinking he'd forgotten about the first 12 frets on his Strat during his solo's and would use 3 notes when 2 would've done nicely!

Great gig though, and first time hearing Johnny Lang, he was bloody brilliant.