What is Reaper doing with my midi drum tracks?

Hope a Reaper maven can help my confusion here. I set up a midi track called 'kick drum' using the MT-drums plugin. Recorded a simple beat using my midid keyboard, fine no problem.
Then I set up a new track, for snare. Recorded a simple snare beat - but what I see is that 'kick drum' now has two takes on it - one the kick beat and one the snare beat. And when I playback the kick drum track, all I hear is the snare beat.

What's going on? Why did Reaper add the snare input to my existing kick drum track?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Maybe you didn't take the kick track out of record ready so when you hit record it also put what you played on the kick track - I've done that before. As to why it's only playing the snare drum, I'm a Cubase guy so not sure about Reaper, but Cubase has an option where it will play back only the last take you recorded or you can set it to play everything that has been recorded, maybe Reaper has a similar function?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 819
    i'm no expert with midi, and reaper has so many options, try R click on input of each track to see what midi channel is showing, possibly you forgot to arm second track for recording, or disarm the the first, also there are options in preference to set how midi is recorded--once you get it working, save it as a template. I had similar problems using Midi gutar 2, to record guitar input as midi information. Once I had it figured, I was able to record midi and DI audio simultaneously on 2 or 3 tracks, I think the main options are R clicking on input per track.
    good luck
    cheers andy k
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Thanks @wave100 & @andy_k . Although I know didn't have the kick track selected when I was recording on the snare track, I hadn't thought to check about the kick track still being armed for recording. I'll take a look at that.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Update:  that was indeed the problem. Checking on the 'recording armed' status is a habit I will now get into =)