Rainbow - since you been gone

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7175
As a wee lad this was my gateway song to proper music. Absolutely loved it and would play my Axe Attack album over and over (if I remember rightly this was the opening track on one side). As I got older the song started to feel cheesy and tbh I haven’t touched my handful of proper Rainbow albums for years. This morning however I had Planet Rock on while making pre work tea and toast and there it was - I had to turn it up and it all came flooding back :-)

I’m back home from work early - the DGT is in single coil mode into the Carr Mercury drive setting and I’m murdering the riff and the solo with a huge grin on the go.

What. A. Tune. !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I used to have that Axe Attack Album. Seem to recall it had Iron Maiden and Ted Nugent on it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    These girls beat them to it...

Clout - Since You've Been Gone

:)

(To be fair, they didn't write it either, Russ Ballard did.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    At the time I thought the tone to the solo of That's Living Alright was the same.

Yes. The song to Auf Wedersain Pet.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7175
    AlexC said:
    I used to have that Axe Attack Album. Seem to recall it had Iron Maiden and Ted Nugent on it?
    Yup , some early Def Leppard too I think. May have to see if it’s on Spotify 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22886
    AlexC said:
    Yup , some early Def Leppard too I think. May have to see if it’s on Spotify 

No Def Leppard, but it was a very good selection of tracks, especially for a K-Ttel compilation!

The only odd choice (I thought) was Running, White Face, City Boy by Gillan, which is a bit crap.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    I had Axe AttackII as well - that was a very good compilation also

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I had Axe Attack on cassette. I guess I had some familiarity with most of the tracks so Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith was the mind blower for me. 
    ICBM said:

I used to love their hit Substitute. Apparently a Righteous Brothers song so I can add that to the list of hits I didn't realise was a cover. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It's funny, I had it in my mind that Clout were an all-women band.  But judging by the moustache on the one at the back I had that wrong....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    EricTheWeary said:

I used to love their hit Substitute. Apparently a Righteous Brothers song so I can add that to the list of hits I didn't realise was a cover. 
    That's one of the first two singles I ever bought. (I can't remember the order of buying that and Marshall Hain's Dancing In The City.) I didn't know it was a Righteous Brothers song either.

Philly_Q said:
    It's funny, I had it in my mind that Clout were an all-women band.  But judging by the moustache on the one at the back I had that wrong....
    The line-up changed, I think.

It looks a bit like Graham Bonnet has sneaked in to the photo too, and seems to be enjoying himself :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I loved Substitute. When I was 13 I went to a shop that sold Golden Oldie 7" to get it. Didn't remember the name of the band. Got a Who compilation album instead.

The rest is history.
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

That's one of the first two singles I ever bought. (I can't remember the order of buying that and Marshall Hain's Dancing In The City.) I didn't know it was a Righteous Brothers song either.
    I think my first single was Ma Baker by Boney M.  I was never the cool one....
    There is an Axe Attack Vol 1 and Vol 2 playlist on Spotify:-)
    Philly_Q said:
    The videos from the time of Substitute show it as an all female band although the member list on Wikipedia shows a a Ron and a Gary and a Lee at some point. 

Looking at the wiki page for Since it was originally recorded by Russ Ballard then a band called Head East before Clout and Rainbow. Also part of Brian May’s solo tour in 1993, the link being Cozy Powell on drums. 

https://youtu.be/T3qqRZhWzDI
    ICBM said:

That’s surprisingly lovely, especially for a band with such an embarrassing logo. 

Interestingly enough ( well for some values of interesting) the later Rainbow hit I Surrender was also a Russ Ballard song also covered previously by Head East. 
    EricTheWeary said:
    Looking at the wiki page for Since it was originally recorded by Russ Ballard then a band called Head East before Clout and Rainbow. Also part of Brian May’s solo tour in 1993, the link being Cozy Powell on drums. 

Oh, I remember Head East!  In the early days of Kerrang! somebody (probably Dave Reynolds) used to write articles about semi-forgotten US/Canadian rock bands of the mid to late '70s (Legs Diamond, Starz, Fortress, Starcastle, Storm, The Hunt, Marcus... and many others).

We used to go looking through the bargain bins for them.  I don't think I've got any Head East albums but my friend Mark Davies (aka Dixon) probably had one or two.

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    edited May 2019
    Bet the audience wasn't watching Brian May much...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited May 2019
    I think that my Dad's Axe Attack album, along with Sir Tommy Vance was probably more responsible for my love of Heavy Metal than anything else.

Since You Been Gone is the same riff as some Green Day bullshit, isn't it?

RobDavies said:
    I think that my Dad's Axe Attack album, along with Sir Tommy Vance was probably more responsible for my love of Heavy Metal than anything else.

Since You Been Gone is the same riff as some Green Day bullshit, isn't it?

Actually now you come to mention it the chords do sound similar to ‘when I come around’ by the cheeky US punk poppers
    edited May 2019
    And it looks like we - or I - were mixing up both volumes!  Turns out Since You Been Gone is on Vol 2 (with a Def Leppard track, as you said) and I was going on about Vol 1, where the Rainbow track is All Night Long.

That Gillan track is better than I thought, too...
    Philly_Q said:
    And it looks like we - or I - were mixing up both volumes!  Turns out Since You Been Gone is on Vol 2 (with a Def Leppard track, as you said) and I was going on about Vol 1, where the Rainbow track is All Night Long.

That Gillan track is better than I thought, too...
    Yep , with age comes wisdom but also the complete inability to remember important stuff like track listings.  I think I must have had Vol 1 on cassette and volume 2 on vinyl