Gretsch 8210 BST-1000

robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3051
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Starting a new thread so as not to derail @HarrySeven's Saving a Lost Cause - Tele Project thread.

Reading the aforementioned thread reminded me I had this under the bed:

For those not aware, it's a Gretsch 8210 BST-1000 "Beast", and it should look like this:

According the the serial number (MM-YXXX) it's from October 1979.

I bought it s/h in the early 80s and used it in my teen years indie band. I think this is from 1984:

[Picture gone]

Being as it was the 1980s, I wanted a trem, so I bought some Hohner thing and got the local luthier to fit it - yep, it required routing. At some stage, I bought a set of DiMarzio Dual Sound pickups from the  near Manchester Oxford Road station (I forget the name, don't think it's still there) and messed around with coil taps and suchlike. I lost the original pickups along the way. I stopped playing guitar for a while, and the Beast was put away.

Fast-forward to some time fairly recently, and I decided to bring the beast back to life.

I took it back to the very same luthier who fitted the trem in the 80s to fill in the hole and he did a sterling job (Dave Gregory - sadly now deceased). I now need to get a replacement pickguard made and choose a decent set of pickups with chrome covers (I don't like open coils) and the Beast will roar again.

I found this interesting article from Vintage Guitar Magazine, in 2016: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/vintageguitar/201612_v2/index.php?startid=30#/32

In case that goes offline, here are the images:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Are you going full resto and keeping the original finish or are you going for something different? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Very interesting, I hadn't seen the catalogue pics before. The BST-5000 makes me think even more of Matsumoku, the 'German carve' body is like a Westbury Standard.

If you need to make a new pickguard for it, it looks much better with black than the original white I think. The white makes it look like a Watkins Rapier .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I’d love one of those cool Gretsch  BSTs . If it was mine I’d probably put a SD JB/ Jazz set of pickups on it, I bet that it’d really rock!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3051
    Adam_MD said:
    Are you going full resto and keeping the original finish or are you going for something different? 
    I'll be keeping it original.

ICBM said:
    If you need to make a new pickguard for it, it looks much better with black than the original white I think. The white makes it look like a Watkins Rapier .
    I couldn't possibly see it having anything other than white!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4201
    Adam_MD said:
    I'll be keeping it original.
    It would look great in Seafoam Green! Just saying...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)