4 string guitar (baritone ukelele)

After a bit of pickup advice please. 

I am considering having a fully electric baritone ukulele built by a luthier, but having only 4 strings, the big question is what pickup to use?  He has recommended the IronGear Jailhouse Rail II, canted at an angle to fit under the strings.  It can then be tapped to provide more versatility as I can only have one pickup

Is this going along the right lines?  Any other pups recommended that would work well/better?  Any advice much appreciated.

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    P Bass split pickup?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    paulnb57 said:
    P Bass split pickup?
    would it work on a 'normal' set of strings?  frequency response would be out wouldn't it?
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    entee said:
    paulnb57 said:
    P Bass split pickup?
    would it work on a 'normal' set of strings?  frequency response would be out wouldn't it?
    Seen em used on Cigarbox guitars, not the most refined of instruments, granted, however they seem to work......gut feeling, most of the frequency of a Bass guitar comes from scale length etc, which the pickup amplfies, then coloured by an Amp, focused on the required Bass tones ??
    @ICBM ?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    entee said:

I am considering having a fully electric baritone ukulele built by a luthier, but having only 4 strings, the big question is what pickup to use?  He has recommended the IronGear Jailhouse Rail II, canted at an angle to fit under the strings.  It can then be tapped to provide more versatility as I can only have one pickup

Is this going along the right lines?  Any other pups recommended that would work well/better?  Any advice much appreciated.

I'd go for a blade style pickup, so you wouldn't have to worry about string spacing.  Something like a Charlie Christian and Creamery make a few models or the IronGear one mentioned. 

In addition Gold Foil pickups don't have slugs/screws but one magnet underneath so you wouldn't need to worry about string spacing so that'd open up other pickups you could use. 
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    entee said:

I'd go for a blade style pickup, so you wouldn't have to worry about string spacing.  Something like a Charlie Christian and Creamery make a few models or the IronGear one mentioned. 

In addition Gold Foil pickups don't have slugs/screws but one magnet underneath so you wouldn't need to worry about string spacing so that'd open up other pickups you could use. 
    Mmmm interesting.  I would like to go for a pickup that can be tapped to give a bit extra tone options.  Having just looked at Creamery they do a humbucker that is blade style too....  food for though.  Thank you.