Popping pedals and other noises...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    Ché said:

I’m using a different amp at home. Still valve, Blackstar HT-1r.
    It's not a DC leak from the valve then, since that amp has a solid-state input section and in any case has a cap in the input circuit to prevent any DC problems either way round. All amps should have, but it's traditional for vintage-type amps not to...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited June 2019
    ICBM said:
    ...If so, you could try using a mains-powered effect unit of some sort which is definitely fully grounded, and see if that fixes it - if it does, it would be fairly easy to modify the amp to connect the signal ground directly to the chassis ground...

I’ve been using a Voodoo Labs PP2+ for the pedals. Are you suggesting I use that to also power then amp? (It does have an auxiliary IEC output).

I have read of people having a similar popping issue with the Ditto loopers and EHX pedals are notorious for popping due to their dinosaur switches. Would something like a Lehle DC filter help? I’d like to be able to use my board in recording situations and it’s pretty terrible atm especially when I use delay as well. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Some pedals can dump DC onto the audio. You can tell if that's happening if the pop gets quieter after a few switch cycles. It can often be cured by adding a pulldown resistor (10K-100Kohms) between the PCB audio output and ground. It's good practice to use a pulldown resistor anyway. EHX pedals are notorious for popping.

Anyone using true bypass on their pedals really ought to ground the PCB input when bypassed too. It's perfectly possible, cheap and easy to make pop-free pedals using mechanical switches.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Tried the popping to discharge DC, worked with the boss pedal when it thumped a few times but not with anything else. I can’t remember having this much of an issue with it, especially my Flint. It reminds me when I had a cable that wasn’t connected probably or the wrong type of cable and it caused lots of popping and noise. All my cables are TS and are functioning. Very strange.  
    Ché said:

I’ve been using a Voodoo Labs PP2+ for the pedals. Are you suggesting I use that to also power then amp? (It does have an auxiliary IEC output).
    I don't think the PP2 has the mains earth connected to the DC ground - in fact it would be badly designed if it did, since that usually guarantees ground loop problems - but you could try it.

I was thinking more of an old rack unit or something like a vintage mains-cable EH, which very often have to be modified to stop them causing ground loops - in the old days people did it by undoing the earth wire in the plug, which is very bad practice...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Ché said:

I don't think the PP2 has the mains earth connected to the DC ground - in fact it would be badly designed if it did, since that usually guarantees ground loop problems - but you could try it.

I was thinking more of an old rack unit or something like a vintage mains-cable EH, which very often have to be modified to stop them causing ground loops - in the old days people did it by undoing the earth wire in the plug, which is very bad practice...

I have a rackmount Furman Power Condition (which I believe to be a glorified 10 way extension) that I use for all my studio gear. I could try connect the amp and pedals to that?

Hey, it can’t be as bad as a widowmaker fuse...
    Ché said:

I have a rackmount Furman Power Condition (which I believe to be a glorified 10 way extension) that I use for all my studio gear. I could try connect the amp and pedals to that?
    It's worth a try.

edited June 2019
    Tried it and didn't find much difference. I think it depends more on amp gain that increases the level of the pop. 
    What's strange is my TC Ditto pops when looping by my TC Alter Ego X4 doesn't. the Alter Ego is silent when looping but pops loudly when engaging delay. I've since switched it to buffered bypass. 

With this in mind, will something like a Lehle DC filter help? With the exception of all my EHX pedals, which I'm tempted to throw into a skip and or burn, I'm going to return the Ditto looper.

I've also noticed my Zendrive now presents a stuttering sound when engaged with the volume knob on the guitar all the way down (only on my strat).... All the pots on it are very scratchy and when I unplug the input it howls like a sci-fi static radio. Not having a good time with all this