SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Tweed Champ 5E1/Champion 600 FS

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
edited September 2020 in Amps £
This amp started life as a Fender champion 600, I have had a master volume fitted, a switch which changes the circuit to a 5 watt  5E1 (and bypasses the tone stack) and a Negative Feedback reduction switch which adds a little more gain - all fitted by a professional tech.  Valves are JJ 12AX7 and 6V6 bought as a set recently.

After those mods I took it upon myself to strip the tolex, cut the box, make a new baffle (with help from my dad to be fair) and then I recovered in tweed tolex and fender grill cloth, bought from Sol Sounds.  I then lacquered the tweed in vintage pine varnish.

It is a DIY job but I'm pleased with how it turned out.   

Changed the speaker to a Jensen P6 Alnico which suits it well, now broken in.  Have original speaker if wanted..

Looking for £220 ideally collection from near Portsmouth but can possibly ship if I can find a suitable box.

https://i.imgur.com/NO6UStj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GTrjTO4.jpg?1
https://imgur.com/bhrIT6D
https://imgur.com/aoKyZvm

Problems with Imgur!!  The link to the picture not embedded shows the layout of controls, the dial with no numbers is the master volume, the original volume dial is the gain dial, the first switch is original Champion 600 circuit in up position, 5E1 circuit in down position.  The last switch is the Negative Feedback On/Off switch.  You can really drive the amp at home volumes but pretty loud if you want it, especially in 5E1 mode.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    edited September 2020
    Bump - would also look at trade involving bare knuckle country boy tele pickups + cash in the unilkely event that someone has some for trade.
    Just think if for some reason I can't think of right now I become a world famous amp re-coverer, you would have no 0001! : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'd have had that off you had you not got me looking for a Champ! Very sweet little amp and I'm sure in the grand halls of the great tolex institutions that your name is mentioned only in hushed tones. 

Fuengi said:
    I'd have had that off you had you not got me looking for a Champ! Very sweet little amp and I'm sure in the grand halls of the great tolex institutions that your name is mentioned only in hushed tones. 

I know everyone says it but I'm torn about selling it, I have made so many mods to it I'm half tempted to keep it and change the speaker see what it sounds like, but I can't justify having 4 amps, can't get rid of the THR its too useful for late night playing, blues Jr for jamming, only one would be the champ which I would struggle to part with also.

I'll swap it for your Strymon Flint : )
    munckee said:
    Fuengi said:

I know everyone says it but I'm torn about selling it, I have made so many mods to it I'm half tempted to keep it and change the speaker see what it sounds like, but I can't justify having 4 amps, can't get rid of the THR its too useful for late night playing, blues Jr for jamming, only one would be the champ which I would struggle to part with also.

The Champ? Ok  :)
    Fuengi said:
    munckee said:
    Fuengi said:

The Champ? Ok  :)
    Ah, not the silverface sorry : ).  I had a look earlier I couldn't even buy it from a private seller for what I paid for it in a shop. Cheapest I have seen is £550.
    Ah, go on. I'll chuck in a patch cable  ;)

Seriously though, I love that Champ. Been looking for a Vibro Champ at a reasonable price. Not many around! 
    edited September 2020
    Blues Jr now added!
    Blues Jr sold in an evening.  Now have a katana and a TS9 so not looking for trades on the champ, FS only.
    Bump.
    Re bump back available such is the amp merry go round!
    Bump for little tweed box of goodness.