Fender Mustang Guitars - what's good?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14633
    Adrian Belew? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    Fuengi said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    I've had a 65 mustang and it was great, it didn't have any of the supposed drawbacks many mention. Stacked up to the Jaguars I've had very well.

That being said, just get a Japan reissue. They are very well thought of and almost render getting a decent vintage example a waste of money. Most sales I've seen are asking way too much for them these days IMO.

I'll take a look at Jap RI, thanks. Any particular year or versions you'd recommend?
    I Think feel wise they are all the usual fender japan quality no matter the era. I believe they made more of an effort with the 65 reissue, authentic pickups and I think those might also be shielded in the cavaties just like the originals (don't quote me on that though).

Although there is a nice fiesta red competition reissue right now on best offer. Maybe chuck them a cheeky offer!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4977
    Adrian Belew? ;)
    Arf! :-)
    I've tended to associate him with a Strat, 'cos that's what he played when I saw him in Discipline.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2632
    Another offset alternative to a Jag or JM is a Toronado. Pretty much at the other end of the spectrum from a Mustang what with the twin humbuckers, 2 vol, 2 tone pot configuration.

Might not be for everyone and will never have the same vintage kudos the classic models have, but my home made Toro with Mojo WRHs is currently my favourite guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 856
    edited June 2019
    I’ve recently got one of the MIJ traditional 70’s mustangs. Out of the box it wasn’t great tuning wise, but with a bit of fettling it’s now rock solid. I’d recommend one for the price if you can still pick one up. The biggest problem is finding a reasonably priced hard case - with that in mind if anyone has one to sell, hit me up. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    ewal said:
    my home made Toro with Mojo WRHs is currently my favourite guitar.
    that sounds really cool! is there any pics?
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Love my Mustang, a varied selection of players/styles listed on the Fender site

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/short-scale-big-noise-the-mustang-story
  • thatguyovertherethatguyoverthere Frets: 12
    edited June 2019
    I’ve spent a bit of time with the new American Performer Mustang, it’s a great guitar worth checking out if you’re on the fence on Mustangs in general.

https://youtu.be/IvVJ_EH1D-s
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5456
    prowla said:
    The Mustang was never a good guitar; there was one anti-hero bloke who played one for a while.
    Ben Gibbard?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12461
    Jazzmaster or Jaguar would be my choices, two nitro ones just sold on here.  I have played a squier mustang and it was fun and very light.  Nowhere near as cool as a JM or jag in surf green though,
  • Whitecat said:
    prowla said:
    The Mustang was never a good guitar; there was one anti-hero bloke who played one for a while.
    Ben Gibbard?
    I thought he’d only recently started touring with them in Death Cab, I don’t think he was ever really associated with them before.

Could also be referring to Kurt Cobain? I know Graham Coxon of Blur used them a lot too, and David Byrne had one early on with Talking Heads. I suspect that whammy craziness at the end of Psycho Killer was a Mustang.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2430
    There's no point in buying something that's a bit like a Mustang but not actually a Mustang. By the time you start putting humbuckers and different switching systems on it you might as well just have bought another guitar in the first place. Mustangs do the thing that Mustangs do. They're easy and comfortable to play, they have a kind of small and compact sound that fits well alongside other instruments, and actually I love the out of phase switch for the odd bit of weird funk stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5456
    Whitecat said:
    prowla said:
    Ben Gibbard?
    I thought he’d only recently started touring with them in Death Cab, I don’t think he was ever really associated with them before.
    It was his weapon of choice in The Postal Service...

• ewalewal Frets: 2632
    bbill335 said:
    ewal said:
    my home made Toro with Mojo WRHs is currently my favourite guitar.
    that sounds really cool! is there any pics?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pdrci5ThkB9TpeR78

Does that work? I'm a bit short of photos. Or

:) No more thread hijack - as you were:)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom