Thoughts on cheaper Gretsch Guitars?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Are you after the Gent-ish shape, Filtertrons, or just something Gretschy?
    For the d/c maybe check out used 5122s, has trad-style thumbnail markers but prob want to swap the generic humbuckers for 'trons. Say £450 plus £120 for pickups.

At 900  squid level I'd do like the others say, add a bit more and watch for a s/h Proline. That'll keep it's value too.
    My 5420 was a fine playing thing, every bit as playable & reliable as the Proline I had but £900 is steep for a new one these days.

Blacktops are less full, lighter in the bass, good with dirt. I liked them well enough but they are quite different sounding to a trad Filtertron.

With a Bigsby you're facing the splayed string exit from the nut, expect to make a nut or get one made. I got mine very usable, esp after swapping the bridge, new top nuts, much as I like bone the best in the end was Tusq.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5478
    Used pro-line is always the right answer, but I have to say that the 5xxx series that I've tried within the past two years have been much better than the ones from a few years ago. Yes, there are issues, but I don't think the Blacktop Filter'Trons suck, and 'licensed' Bigsbys are better-feeling than they used to be too. 

At £900 it is a lot... but you can grab a second-hand one for almost half that and spend a bit of money on those upgrades if you absolutely have to.
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    I’ve got a Full fat Gretsch Double Anniversary 6118 going for £1000 with Hardcase 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5869
    danban said:
    I’ve got a Full fat Gretsch Double Anniversary 6118 going for £1000 with Hardcase 
    Unless you absolutely have to have a bigsby (and personally, I do) this is your answer. 

Even if you do, but this now and save for the trem a while makes a lot of sense. All the best people go for the less blingy Annie option :)
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Got a 5420t 2 years ago. She plays great now but needed alot of fettling. The taper on the pots is awfull and I havent sorted that yet. Pots go from full on to almost half volume in a small adjustment. The bigsby was squint on mine, nut was poor, loose solder joint at tone pot and high frets. That being said, I seem to gravitate towards mid priced guitars and of the last 3 I have bought(Gretsch, guild and squire) they have all needed adjustments and fret work. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    Definitely try before you buy, even if it means making a trip to a city with a PMT or Guitar Guitar. The Gretsch forums are full of posts along the lines of 'can I do such-and-such to my Electromatic to make it like a proper Gretsch?' This seems particularly true of US residents for whom a guitar shopping expedition can mean hundreds of miles of driving, and who therefore buy online with their fingers crossed and one eye on the vendor's returns policy.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’ve got a nice gold g2420t plus a set of filtertrons that I’m willing to move on. Had some gas of late so bought a few things and need to trim down. Really great value I think and I also have a 5129 and am generally a fan of Korean guitars (big Peerless fanboy). Anyway, pm me if interested @Calum13.
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    If I was to get a G5235 what pickups would everyone recommend? They’d have to replace the mini HBs without cutting the guitar. I’m looking for low output gretsch style pickups that’ll fit with no cutting into the guitar.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited June 2019
    If you're now looking at Pro-Jets I'd recommend the 5435 or double cut 5445 - the earlier series when they had the BT filtertrons - but that's cos I love mine. I replaced the nut with a Tusq but still suffer from a bit of Bigsby droop. Oddly Thomann seem to have them new - but can easily be found for very good price s/h. Whether the BT Filters are Gretschy enough for you I couldn't say, but they sound very different from my PAF equipped Ibanez.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1061
    edited June 2019
    I do own a couple of Jap Gretsch guitars (and have owned more) but I do all gigs with a pair of 5420t electromatics. They work brilliantly for me. 

I fancy that Anniversary in the classifieds at a ridiculously cheap price but I am in the fortunate position of knowing I can’t afford it! 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 617
    I sold my G5420t after I purchased a G6120. The G6120 is awesome I love it but my G5420t was very good and stable, maybe I was lucky. Try before you buy on both is the usual sound advice. I personally really enjoyed my 5420 and only lost a few quid buying and selling as second hand because if I want to sell I don't want to hang around with a sale so I sold it for less than I paid for it. You shouldn't lose much on a second hand Gretsch 

I personally wouldn't go for new. I'd go for one somebody has setup second hand. Try before you buy I think possibly applies more to Gretsch than say a telecaster or strat. I played awfully setup ones in the shops. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    Not trying to hi-jack the topic, but does anyone know how much a 59 vintage select duo jet in nearly brand new condition would go for?

I have one, which I love pretty much equally to my CS Gretschs, but I need to sell some guitars, and the CS are more unique guitars. So choices need to be made.

You don't see that many for sale, so I'm wondering what a decent price would be if I do sell it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8075
    brooom said:
    Not trying to hi-jack the topic, but does anyone know how much a 59 vintage select duo jet in nearly brand new condition would go for?

I have one, which I love pretty much equally to my CS Gretschs, but I need to sell some guitars, and the CS are more unique guitars. So choices need to be made.

You don't see that many for sale, so I'm wondering what a decent price would be if I do sell it.
    £1200-£1500, depending on which way the wind blows. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    thank you
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    I’ve got a G5422TG. It’s a good guitar and I like it a lot. Blacktops are lovely and the neck is slim and easy to play. It needed a new nut but that sorted the tuning issues. It’s also thinner than a normal Gretsch, nearly Gibson 335 thin. 

Sure there may be some mythical Japanese Gretsch out there for the same money, but if you want a slim double cut hollow body for less than a grand there is only one option.

Also I have never bonded with a second hand guitar, so that isn’t really worth it for me. 

I shall be playing mine at practice tonight....
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    Anybody know anything about Gretsch Dorado guitars? 70s/80s acoustics?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent