Want to learn to wind pickups with Oil City?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

This is something I'd like to do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @OilCityPickups - any chance of doing this for Jazzmaster pickups (didn't look like you did them from your website)?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10404
    tFB Trader
    Hi @OilCityPickups - any chance of doing this for Jazzmaster pickups (didn't look like you did them from your website)?
    No reason why not ... we used to do them, but they are such a limited market we pulled out. We still have all the CAD plans for flat-work and the right magnets etc.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Hi @OilCityPickups - any chance of doing this for Jazzmaster pickups (didn't look like you did them from your website)?
    No reason why not ... we used to do them, but they are such a limited market we pulled out. We still have all the CAD plans for flat-work and the right magnets etc.
    That's cool; could tie-up nicely with my JM build!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    If there's any scope for a pair of HB-sized P90's, you can add me to the list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Dodge said:
    If there's any scope for a pair of HB-sized P90's, you can add me to the list.
    That's easily doable :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I'd be interested in this too.

Bye!

tFB Trader
    I'd be interested in this too.
    I'll shortly be posting an address to get printed/PDF details from ... we are still finalising the structure

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    Count me in!
    my trading feedback HERE
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I'm not in an ideal location for this at the moment, but moving south in the summer - would be well up for it then. :) Hopefully you continue doing it - I can see it being a popular thing. 
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    How likely is it that the students would walk away with pickups they're really happy with? I understand scatterwinding is a pretty skilled process, and that most people have inconsistent results at first. If you sign up for the course aiming to making a set of handwound Strat pickups, what are the chances of you walking away with something that sounds a bit meh?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    tFB Trader
    How likely is it that the students would walk away with pickups they're really happy with? I understand scatterwinding is a pretty skilled process, and that most people have inconsistent results at first. If you sign up for the course aiming to making a set of handwound Strat pickups, what are the chances of you walking away with something that sounds a bit meh?
    I've taught assistants to scatter wind in a half hour ... some pickup companies would have you believe its far more of a black art than it really is. Programming a PAF wind on a machine (which is the correct method to wind a PAF) is a far more difficult skill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    OilCityPickups said:
    some pickup companies would have you believe it's far more of a black art than it really is. 
    As with London Hackney carriage driving, the crucial thing is acquiring The Knowledge. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    For all those that have been patient ... we are very close to throwing the course open

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    For all those that have been patient ... we are very close to throwing the course open
    I’ll chat to you about it when I see you in the week

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    Presumably it's very VERY close now then Ash? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Perhaps, if those who have expressed an interest pre-paid a non-returnable deposit, the fun and games could begin? :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    We are close ... and we will be sorting out deposits and sign up forms soon. Totally flat out for Birmingham at the moment.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I would very much like to do this Ash. I could bring a knapsack full of Hobnobs and everything..
    "A city star won’t shine too far"