Kill Switch Recommendations?

What's Hot
WonkyWonky Frets: 188
I want to fit a reverse Kill switch to a guitar.  That is an off/on switch to activate the kill switch via a push pull on the tone control and then a normally off push switch that will sound when pressed (SPST-NO).  I ordered one off Amazon which I've had to return as it was way to small and way to hard to press.
So just to be clear once the circuit is activated by a push/pull switch the guitar would be silent until the momentary button is pressed and then sound will be made.
I need a momentary switch the right sort of size and the right sort of pressure to activate.
There are many different switches that look like they may do the job, but it's hard to tell without having them to hand.  I notice that a fair few of them don't seem to have enough thread to go through a guitar body, which is also an issue.
Anyone tried to do something similar?  Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Foot pedal?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Foot pedal?
    It's got to be guitar mounted for me I'm afraid.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Wonky said:

So just to be clear once the circuit is activated by a push/pull switch the guitar would be silent until the momentary button is pressed and then sound will be made.
    have you tried using a low-torque pot and a compressor/gate thing? are you going for morello-esque effects?
    bbill335 said:
    Wonky said:

have you tried using a low-torque pot and a compressor/gate thing? are you going for morello-esque effects?
    Not tried this TBH.  I don't think it'd be quick enough for what I'm after. Also have to be a bit careful with a Noise Gate changing the tone of the note.  If I understand you right that is.  Would that even be accurate enough?
    Good suggestion though, I've never heard or thought of it before.  Can you elaborate a bit more on how this works, just to make sure I understand what you're getting at?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Wonky said:
    Foot pedal?
    How about an externally mounted box, like Les Paul’s Paulverizer? 

My experience with Shadow kill switch pots is that they fail far sooner than their price might lead you to expect.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Wonky said:
    Foot pedal?

My experience with Shadow kill switch pots is that they fail far sooner than their price might lead you to expect.
    Aah now, I'm not thinking of using a pot as a shadow kill switch, just an off/on for the actual push switch/circuit, if you catch my drift.  A proper sprung off/on switch for the actual business end of things with a separate push/pull on the tone to activate the circuit is what I have in mind.  It's the actual push button switch is the thing causing me the problem.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11012
    tFB Trader
    Wonky said:
    Wonky said:
    Foot pedal?

Aah now, I'm not thinking of using a pot as a shadow kill switch, just an off/on for the actual push switch/circuit, if you catch my drift.  A proper sprung off/on switch for the actual business end of things with a separate push/pull on the tone to activate the circuit is what I have in mind.  It's the actual push button switch is the thing causing me the problem.
    Push push pots have a much shorter life than push pull ones ... they usually fall apart fairly spectacularly with about a tenth of the use that would kill a cheap push pull.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wonky said:
    Wonky said:
    Foot pedal?

Push push pots have a much shorter life than push pull ones ... they usually fall apart fairly spectacularly with about a tenth of the use that would kill a cheap push pull.
    I've never used or even thought of a push pot.  By the sounds of it, good job too.  
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Wonky said:
    bbill335 said:
    Wonky said:

Not tried this TBH.  I don't think it'd be quick enough for what I'm after. Also have to be a bit careful with a Noise Gate changing the tone of the note.  If I understand you right that is.  Would that even be accurate enough?
    Good suggestion though, I've never heard or thought of it before.  Can you elaborate a bit more on how this works, just to make sure I understand what you're getting at?
    just rolling the pot really fast, and using a pedal to reduce the "swell" effect to make it closer to an on-off sound. The CTS pot on my strat goes from 0-10 really quick and smooth, the pot has very little resistance. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10508
    edited June 2019
    You could use a normally closed (push to break)  push switch wired from jack hot to earth wired with the switch portion of the tone control in series with the hot .... that would work pretty well. 

I use a little red one from CPC.co.uk 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11012
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    You could use a normally closed (push to break)  push switch wired from jack hot to earth wired with the switch portion of the tone control in series with the hot .... that would work pretty well. 

I use a little red one from CPC.co.uk 
    I'm wondering if one could use an industrial kill switch like I have on my drill press ... those are built to take millions of cycles
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    Or a pinball machine button, perhaps?
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 954
    Wonky said:
    Foot pedal?

I've just realised that the killswitch pedal I've got could quite easily be mounted (velcro maybe) to the guitar as it doesn't require power. Hmmmm
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs