Thinline telecaster suggestions??

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I'm looking to buy a thinline tele, I just love these things. I have about £1500 to spend and I'm seeking opinion on whether spending the extra money for a Fender USA model would be worth it over the Mexican offerings? Is there any other brands that I may not know of that are making thinline tele style guitars within this budget? Preferably looking for a maple fretboard.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Are you after the 69 style? If so...

The MiM are hard to beat for the cash (although I note even used ones are now £500+.

They are bright and benefit from a pot change - they come with 1Meg for some reason.

Perfect platform for modding - you can upgrade pickups easily enough.

I don’t think they do a US thinline in the classic ‘69 spec new.

Mines a 2002 model cost ~ £250 imported used from ‘murica over 10 years ago. I doubt I’d sell it even though on paper it’s my cheapest guitar. I gigged a lot with it so it feels right.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Absolutely fantastic guitars, everyone should have one! I own a Burns Duo Sonic prototype, semi hollow with coil split neck HB and SC bridge. It's such a brilliant guitar and so versatile. 

Mine doesn't have the scroll headstock that nobody seems to like, but definitely check them out. Great necks. 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 896

Fender Limited Edition American Elite Mahogany Telecaster.  Well worth checking out, if you can find one.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    I'm a Thinline fan. Get a used USA 72 Thinline with an ash body/maple neck, and swap the pickups for either TV Jones Classics or cheaper Filtertrons/Fidelitrons with a new guard. It works! Like a Super Deluxe Thinline (they are good too but I prefer a maple neck) I also made up a Warmoth 69 ash/maple and put noiseless Fender P/ups in. Great. Both under your budget. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2699
    Would you consider luthier built? 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I have a fender masterbuilt 69 thinline. However, I'd highly recommend buying either then 69 thinline MIM classic or the TN70 japanese model.

You'll be able to find a mexican made one for around 500, but they will both be great guitars, and if you don't like the electronics, you can always change that.

Probably my favourite kind of tele.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Usa G&L  ?
    When logic and proportion
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    This.... although it might well cost more than £1500, plus, unless you can find them secondhand, I believe it's impossible to get proper CuNiFe pickups now that Mr.Telenator has stopped making them.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Yeah definitely but it may be over budget?

grayn said:

Fender Limited Edition American Elite Mahogany Telecaster.  Well worth checking out, if you can find one.
    They look excellent, can't find any at the moment though. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    I had a Mexi Thinline, couldn’t fault it
    and it sounded just like a thinline tele should. 

They are very glossy though and I always felt that the all over finish was a barrier to really bonding with it. Others might love that about them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    The Fender JapanTN-SPL  thinline is  a fine guitars.I  sold mine but now regret it .
  • I recently put together a 72 thinline telecaster which sounds great. I'd highly recommend the Creamery wide range pups. They sound incredible :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A used Suhr Alt T Pro, preferably an older one with Thornbuckers. Bangin’ guitars.