Saturated tones....

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16042
think Ty tabor and the highly saturated driven guitar Kings X tones, on the polite side of pre metal distortion i guess

You think you can get reasonably close, perhaps with some stacking of OD pedals, with a clean twin type amp,or is it too much of an ask?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    I would think that's doable... especially on the earlier albums, his sound is really clear, almost like there's a clean sound in the mix somewhere too. Something quite transparent and touch sensitive would do it, I'd say. Possibly with a compressor or something to thicken it up for solos
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I would say it’s easier to achieve that kind of sound with a clean amp than it is with a dirty amp, tbh. Unless your dirty amp is something like a JCM800 or a Boogie.
    Suhr Riot, MI Audio Crunchbox (and variants thereof), the Mesa Throttlebox, MXR EVH 5150, Maxon DS830, Boss DS1 (particularly with the Seeing Eye Mod), all will get in the ballpark. Add a clean-sounding compressor and a chorus if you feel like it. His sound is quite “polished” so this will make it sound more studio. 

If you really want to stack, any Marshall in a box pushed by a Boss SD1.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2200
    Friedman BE-OD into a JRAD Archer set to a mainly clean boost gives a clean but dirty type tone. Loads of sustain and clarity.
    It's my go to tone for leads. 

Worked well into a Twin, but sounds immense into my Friedman Buxom Betty with is Fender flavoured. 

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I'm a big fan of stacking for smooth saturation without much hair - if you want it just in one pedal something like the Rockett Holdsworth or the Wampler...what is it....fusion..something. Dual fusion?