Ride the Lightning amp tone...?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
Looking online there seems to be a bit of an argument about the amps / speakers used on Metallica's Ride the Lightning, specifically for Hetfield's rhythm tone.

Some sites seem to say it was modded Plexis, with TS in front.

Others say stock JCM800 with a TS, but with an unusual choice of speaker at the time - the G12-65.

Anyone got any insight?

It's one of my favourite recorded tones. It's not as distorted as some of the later albums but it sounds far bigger. No doubt there was plenty of double tracking going on and IIRC Hammett didn't play any rhythm parts on recordings in those days, it was all Hetfield.

A big slab of mahogany with EMGs is no doubt a big part of it too, but I'd like to find out as much as I can. I've got a riff idea in my head, and in my head it uses that tone!

ta 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    @Reverend ;
     I think this might be up your street?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    I think this was before James played EMG's too wasnt it?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooo I don’t know!

Just didn’t recall ever seeing a picture post record deal without them.
  • When I listen to it I'm convinced there is a chorus on it. Probably a result of the double tracking.

Sounds marshall, bright, and picked hard. Hetfield don't mess about! 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

I think EMG's were a more recent thing, even on the back of garage days they're all using seymour duncan passive humbuckers
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

I think EMG's were a more recent thing, even on the back of garage days they're all using seymour duncan passive humbuckers

Yes - up to Master of Puppets Hetfield was using SD Invaders, Ride the lightning was the last album they used only Marshalls on, James had a Jose modded JMP and Kirk was using a TS in front for leads. It's also the only album they used reverb on while recording.

There used to be a site called Monty Jays that listed all this stuff but it does not seem to exist anymore!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    The EMGs came in a little later.  RTL has far too oopmh to be actives but I think he started using then live soon after. Pretty sure he used SD invaders at this time.  

The amps are 800s and/or JMP 2203s borrowed from friends in Denmark so it's likely to to JMPs as that is what you see in Mercyful Fate live photos from the time. Not sure what Artillery used but probably the same. 
    The Jose modded plexis were stolen just before they recording started. 
    It was around this time they Hetfield first saw Trouble and it would appear the tone was an influence. There is a story about him jumping on stage to write down amp settings although neither Bruce Franklin nor Rick Wartell said it happened when I asked them. 
    Is there much of a difference between JCM800 2203 and JMP 2203?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Intially, not much. Although as the years go on there were changes. That said, a few people swear they can hear a difference - matybe a touch more low end and chunk. The JMP is the amp for Heaven and Hell, early Slayer and most Trouble albums though.
    Well, G12-65 is quite an expensive speaker!

There I was thinking about one of the Jet City or Harley Benton 2x12s and then swapping the cones... The new ones would be far more expensive than the cab with the V30s / Eminence in them.
  • Get a Torpedo CAB M and thank me later. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922