Strap button or strap around headstock?

What's Hot
Do any of you guys gig with a strap that secures to the headstock rather than a strap button on the body or heel of the neck?

Ive been gigging with an acoustic this year that for the first time in my life has a strap secured to the headstock and Im starting to think its been the cause of some back and neck problems Im having. Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    I've had a shoelace around the headstock on my electro acoustic for about 25 years. Base pin end has one of those Dunlop plastic circle things.
    Get the length right for comfortable playing and it stays there. I think I've worn out three or four shoe laces (now due another), and the strap looks a bit frayed along the edges. Suits me and I see no reason to change.
    The other consideration might be the body size, is it a big jumbo and do you find it difficult getting your arm over to strum?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    One other option might be the classical strap that just goes round your neck, up under the guitar and hooks on the lip of the sound hole.  It's not hands free though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    I've had a shoelace around the headstock on my electro acoustic for about 25 years. Base pin end has one of those Dunlop plastic circle things.
    Get the length right for comfortable playing and it stays there. I think I've worn out three or four shoe laces (now due another), and the strap looks a bit frayed along the edges. Suits me and I see no reason to change.
    The other consideration might be the body size, is it a big jumbo and do you find it difficult getting your arm over to strum?
    o its actually a small bodied guitar that is extremely light... which I think was causing half of the problem because it was moving all over the place and I was having to string hands and shoulders to keep it in place while playing. Im just going to bite the bullet and get a strap button put on it, I really hate drilling holes in things that are meant to resonate that dont necessarily need to have them drilled but needs must
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7838
    edited June 2019
    Get a canvas strap so it doesn't slide around. I use a headstock tie on my GS mini in particuar so if I go for a walk it will sit nicely on my back.