Mexican Player Telecaster

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
An acquaintance has offered for sale his Mexican Player Telecaster. Loads of upgrades added to it, even a bigsby ;) Are they any good though?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5869
    Quite probably. It’s worth a play at the very least 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    I have a Mexican Tele and the fit and finish are excellent.   The only thing I'm not keen on with mine are the noiseless pickups which seem a bit gutless, but thats about all.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    ROOG said:
    I have a Mexican Tele and the fit and finish are excellent.   The only thing I'm not keen on with mine are the noiseless pickups which seem a bit gutless, but thats about all.
    What would pay for one as a ceiling price etc?
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I also have a MIM Tele and would ditto what ROOG said with the exception of the pickups as mine are double coils.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The new Player guitars are a bit different from the previous MIM stuff. The biggest difference is the neck - 22 frets, satin finish. I really, really want the Strat, not least because one of the tone controls is for the bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1711
    DeeTee said:
    The new Player guitars are a bit different from the previous MIM stuff. The biggest difference is the neck - 22 frets, satin finish. I really, really want the Strat, not least because one of the tone controls is for the bridge.
    same here
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DeeTee said:
    Do you know if the necks on the Player Strats are more like the old American Standard shape than the new American Professional are?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    DeeTee said:
    You do know that's literally a two minute tweak with a soldering iron on any strat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    DeeTee said:
    You do know that's literally a two minute tweak with a soldering iron on any strat?
    Yes, I'm aware, and thanks for the snark. But I want a 22 fret satin neck and a two point trem as well, so this is perfect for me.

@thegummy - I'm afraid I'm not familiar  enough with either of those two to comment. It feels like a comfy C, but everything gets described as modern C these days!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    Blimey, bit touchy aren't we?

Merely trying to help.  I'd gorgotten that was frowned upon in these parts (was there a rule...)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Blimey, bit touchy aren't we?

Merely trying to help.  I'd gorgotten that was frowned upon in these parts (was there a rule...)

If it means anything I thought your comment came across as helpful and I can totally see why you'd offer that in reply to the quote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    Seems I misread then. Limitations of text. I took it the wrong way, and I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Have been spending a bit too much time on a different forum that's a little less friendly. I apologise.
    edited June 2019
    ROOG said:
    Sorry, @hotpickups, I don't know what you would pay used, I think I paid about £450 new (FSR model) 5 years ago including a hard case

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    ROOG said:
    ROOG said:
    Sorry, @hotpickups, I don't know what you would pay used, I think I paid about £450 new (FSR model) 5 years ago including a hard case
    This one is way too much money for it then. He’s wanting over a grand for it. Not worth it as I thought. Thanks for getting back to me though @ROOG ;
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    No mex Fender is worth anything near that mate even with top components, you’ve made the right decision 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9808
    edited June 2019
    Way too pricey when you can pick them up for under £500 new. Upgrades and mods might make it a better instrument, but certainly won’t add to its value. If he wants over a grand for it, you’re getting into new US Performer territory. Depending how much over a grand, you might even be able to buy a shiney new US Professional. However, since you’re obviously willing to go used, honestly the world’s your lobster.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I watched Andy from Pro Guitar shop demoing one, what amazing tone,  I clearly do not do the instrument justice!