Tele Neck Pickup screws

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 954
I've got a Mexican Tele that I've just replaced the pickguard on but the old pickguard had holes either side of the pickup and it was mounted that way. The new pickguard doesn't have those holes so the pickup is mounted inside the cavity. I need some longer screws than the existing ones (which are probably about 20mm) to raise the height of the neck pickup so it's about 3 to 5 mm above the surface of the pickguard - any idea where to get some from? The screws go into the rubber tube type thingies currently 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    The through-the-pickguard screws have a flat end.

The screws for direct-to-body mounting need a pointed end so that they can bite into the cavity floor. These screws can be narrower than the stock screws. They should pass through the pickup’s baseplate without damaging it.

The rubber tube sections get compressed between the pickup baseplate and the cavity floor. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 954
    Thanks @Funkfingers - just need to know where I can get some as none of the billion screws I've got in the toolbox are as narrow and probably not fit for purpose. 
    Another consideration is that recent MIM Standard Telecasters come with a generous one-size-fits-all neck position pickup cavity. 

You have correctly identified the need for long height adjustment screws. You will probably also need longer sections of compressible rubber tubing OR a thick pad of compressible material to go onto the cavity floor.

Of course, there is always the option to drill the new pickguard to accept the existing mounting screws. I’m not keen on this myself but that does not mean that you should not do it.
    I'm not keen on drilling it either. 
     My Tele is from 2003. I think the cavity is big enough to do stuff with - I'll probably find something to fit between the screw and the rubber tubing. I might even be able to find some small springs. But definitely need longer screws. Would somewhere like Allparts be the key? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7098
    tFB Trader
    I expect the universal cavity is deeper than a traditional Telecaster which is why the screws are too short.

Bass pickup screws might do the trick and yes allparts should have them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Steve. 
    joetele said:
    My Tele is from 2003.
    Expect the 2003 pickup cavity to accept only a traditionally-sized Telecaster neck/Rhythm pickup. 

The stock rubber tube sections should suffice.

Bass pickup screws might do the trick
    With a vintage style pickup rout, I would worry that the typical P/J Bass pickup screw would be too long to both press against the baseplate of the pickup and NOT end up protruding from the rear of the guitar through two fugly holes.
    I think I only really need another 5 to 10 mm length on the screws - which would still be short enough  so as not to be scraping the pickguard. And two more of the rubber tube bits.