Selection of a pickup based on specifications.

What's Hot
Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
I've got a 1996 Gibson Explorer '76 reissue which has a superb sound that I really like. I want to get a similar pickup sound for another guitar but without specifications for my Explorer or the ability to just try a load of different pickups I'm not sure where to start. Descriptions like 'hot', 'warm', 'vintage', 'modern' etc are pretty much useless.

I have the ability to remove the pickup and test it with a multimeter etc... will the DC resistance be of much benefit to me in locating a similar sound? As I can remove it I can also have a look at the construction and try to match it. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Any other way I can find the right kind of sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Update: have just seen this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/157750/dc-resistance which is clearly relevant. I await replies.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Knowing the exact specifications of a specific pickup is of less help than you might imagine.

Pickups do not exist or operate in isolation. Hence, the humbucker that you really enjoy in your Explorer might sound terrible in another guitar - including another Explorer.

Next time you perform a string change, unfasten the humbucker mounting surrounds by the four little screws in the corners. DO NOT unfasten the height adjustment screws. 

Photograph the pickups from numerous angles. This will help to identify them. Once you know what you have got, you stand a better chance of replicating what you like about it in other guitars.

Yes, using words to describe tonal qualities is difficult. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited June 2019
    Knowing the exact specifications of a specific pickup is of less help than you might imagine.

Pickups do not exist or operate in isolation. Hence, the humbucker that you really enjoy in your Explorer might sound terrible in another guitar - including another Explorer.

Next time you perform a string change, unfasten the humbucker mounting surrounds by the four little screws in the corners. DO NOT unfasten the height adjustment screws. 

Photograph the pickups from numerous angles. This will help to identify them. Once you know what you have got, you stand a better chance of replicating what you like about it in other guitars.

Yes, using words to describe tonal qualities is difficult. 

Thank you. That’s a great answer and kind of what I was expecting. I’d certainly say my Explorer sounds more ‘metal’ than my SG which has a more ‘classic rock’ sound but I wouldn’t pigeon hole the guitar. In general, I just prefer the sound.

On the other hand I want more guitars and I don’t want to just amass an enormous collection of Explorers. Ha. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11012
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I believe an explorer of that age might well have Gibson Dirty Fingers humbuckers which are a triple magnet design.

As others have said, DC resistance is a very poor guide to 'output' or tone.
    Pickup 'power' is a function of the number of turns of wire on the bobbins and the strength of the magnets. Three gauges of wire are commonly used for pickup winding 42awg, 43awg and 44awg and they all have widely different resistance per foot.
    I could wind a 10,000 turn P90 with 42awg wire and it would be about 8k ... wind that with 10,000 turns of 43awg and the thinner wire will take the resistance up to around 10k ... wind with 10,000 turns of 44awg and you are up to 15 or 16k ... but all three pickups will have exactly the same power! The finer wire will smooth out the treble and compress things more ... but the volume the amp sees will be identical.
    Tone will depend on many other variables ... coil shape, winding tension and pattern, magnet choice .... the list goes on!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited June 2019
    I think it'll be a gibson 500t /498R set. Easily available 2nd hand.

This is a good resource too.

http://archive.gibson.com/files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780

I came here to say this.

tFB Trader

Ah ... misread the first post ... the 1976 Explorer ... that was a reissue of the 58 Explorer was Fitted with Dirty Fingers humbuckers (strangely when the original had PAFs) ... so the 1996 is a reissue of a reissue with different pickups once again!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Ah ... misread the first post ... the 1976 Explorer ... that was a reissue of the 58 Explorer was Fitted with Dirty Fingers humbuckers (strangely when the original had PAFs) ... so the 1996 is a reissue of a reissue with different pickups once again!
    And just to make it even more confusing, it’s actually a 1994, not a 96. Oops!

I’m amazed how much you guys know about this stuff. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    OilCityPickups said:
     ... coil shape … 
    As an example, the eight or so Kilohms bridge pickup on my Fender AVRI’65 Jazzmaster produces a fair bit more signal than the almost ten K Seymour Duncan bridge pickup in my AVRI’52 Telecaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11698
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

That’s a helpful link, cheers. 496R/500T according to those listings. Thanks everyone!

I paid A LOT less than £1200 for mine but it was about 16 years ago!
    tFB Trader
    OilCityPickups said:
     ... coil shape … 
    As an example, the eight or so Kilohms bridge pickup on my Fender AVRI’65 Jazzmaster produces a fair bit more signal than the almost ten K Seymour Duncan bridge pickup in my AVRI’52 Telecaster.
    Frequency is as important as sheer volume ... and certain frequencies sound louder and cut through better than others. 

Your 8k Jazzmaster will be 42awg if it conforms to normal JM convention ... Your 52 Tele will probably be 43awg ... so probably will have a similar turn count.