Vox Ac15hw no sound

What's Hot
Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 90
Don’t suppose anyone could shed light on this for me.
Changed all the valves last week with a full kit from Watford valves, worked perfect. 
Come back to rehearse tonight everything is lit up but no sound not even a hiss. 
I’m baffled. Have i missed something?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1642

HT fuse? 250mA T AFAICT. Fit one, if it holds fine. If it blows, tech time but you could have a buggered rectifier valve or power valve.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i’ll look at that. All the valves are lit when it’s switched on. I’d be more baffled if it never ran when i first changed all the valves. 
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As Dave has said, there is a T250mA HT fuse (on the same side of the chassis as the valve bases). There is also a 6.3amp heater fuse, but clearly that is intact as the heaters are lit. I suspect one of your new output valves may have gone internal short - this can happen even with brand valves I'm afraid.   
  • Definitely not the speaker wire come away from the speaker? And hooked up?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72824
    It's quite common for a new valve to fail shortly after fitting - if it blows the HT fuse the valves will light up but the amp won't work. Check the speaker connection first as Pablocrackers said, but if it's not that it's almost certainly one of the power valves or the rectifier.

If you have spare fuses you can usually identify which one by re-substituting the old valves one at a time and watching the valves carefully as you switch on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Very helpful guys. I’ve still got the valves i took out. I shall report back. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16225
    speaker connection
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3998
    Everyone came in here expecting this to start "So I just picked up this bargain AC15 from Guitarguitar", right?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    prlgmnr said:
    Everyone came in here expecting this to start "So I just picked up this bargain AC15 from Guitarguitar", right?
    Haha yes, first thing I thought
  • Haha, if it’s any consolation i did originally buy it from GuitarGuitar. An i did go back after 6 months for a fault. I’ve had a few years loving it since then. Well untill...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yeah, check the HT fuse. Sometimes they just blow - those HW AC15s & 30s run really hot, right on the edge, and the fuse can go "just because".

My HW30 once went completely silent because a resistor blew, but that was preceded by some pretty strange UFO noises so it's probably not that.
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 90
    edited June 2019
    The culprit was one of the preamp valves, didn’t recognise it was bust at first as it has a metal sleeve covering it. As soon as i removed that you could see it had gone. Shot the old one back in and it’s away again. Thanks for the advice gents.