Stuck in a playing rut , how do I get out of it?? Lessons?? Online resources??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
For the last year or so I've found myself really stuck in a playing rut.

I'm just sick of hearing myself play the same type of solos and runs all the time. I could do with some new stuff to add to my soloing repertoire to make it a bit more interesting.

I'm not looking to change the style I play, just to expand on it a bit. 

I play Punky hard Rock n roll type stuff. So I sound  alot like fast eddie clarke basically. I've been playing for a long time and I'm happy with what I do,  I don't want to change my style or anything, just add a few new things.

Anyone got any advice?? Lessons?? Youtube??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Truefire subscription - you get the whole catalogue to view online
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2454
    I was stuck in a rut for ages, playing the same songs in my band. Then it occurred to me I haven't learned any songs that weren't my own for ages, and it really helped. Learn the songs you've always wanted to and you'll be able to add loads of licks to your vocabulary. This might not apply to you, but if it does, I think it'll really help.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3110
    Broken record but Trio+

Also take a break from playing for a bit and do some listening
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    For the last year or so I've found myself really stuck in a playing rut.

I'm just sick of hearing myself play the same type of solos and runs all the time. I could do with some new stuff to add to my soloing repertoire to make it a bit more interesting.

I'm not looking to change the style I play, just to expand on it a bit. 

I play Punky hard Rock n roll type stuff. So I sound  alot like fast eddie clarke basically. I've been playing for a long time and I'm happy with what I do,  I don't want to change my style or anything, just add a few new things.

Anyone got any advice?? Lessons?? Youtube??
    History teaches us that musicians have stolen borrowed influences from other instruments and other musical genres over time to make thier own style. The early jazz guitarists (when they could be heard) tried to emulate saxaphone solos and vice versa, leading on up to those technical players of today.
    You don't have to like country/pop/jazz/whatever to be able to appreciate the playing ability and steal  incorpropriate some nice licks into your preferred genre. Remember Nile Rodgers is the leading funk guitarist (by sales), but he was foremost a jazz player first (listen to chic - savoir faire).
    Finally playing with other varied musicians will push and stretch you. Jam sessions can be frightening from the outside, but are usually very friendly and give you insight into new directions. So stop defining yourself as a specific type of guitarist and move onwards and upwards.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    When that happens to me I do one of two things;

1. Go through all my notes, chords and tabs. It's amazing how many things you forget you've learnt or half learnt. The other day I stumbled across the tab for Californication which is the first solo I was taught, that got me off and running again. 

2. Buy / obsess over new gear! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14718
    ESBlonde said:
    playing with other varied musicians will push and stretch you. 
    Specifically, try to play with musicians who you reckon are better than you. That way, there is no room for complacency. You have to raise your standard.

If you are of equal standard to the available musicians in your area, you need to strive to maintain that standard.

ESBlonde said:
    Stop defining yourself as a specific type of guitarist and move onwards and upwards.
    Stop defining yourself as just a guitarist. Try another stringed instrument. You should find that skills are transferrable between both. Bass guitar will change how you use your fingers. Hopefully, it will also give you a new perspective on band situations. Alternatively, mandolin or ukulele will require adjustment to different tunings and/or scale length.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1116
    Playing with other people definitely helps, if not with a tutor then with other musician's. When I first started playing my timing was really bad and I couldn't solo very well. Playing in bands for 15 years definitely helped with that and playing lead guitar in some of the bands meant I had to learn to solo half-decently.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Play bass for 6 months.

Properly. Not just root crap - proper bass parts. Duck Dunn / Jamerson / Kaye.

Gives you a very different understanding of music.

Then go back to guitar - but play solos from other instruments. Sax and clarinet pieces have very different phrasing.
    Don't worry about actually transposing to fit anything - play them unaccompanied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Expand your horizons by learning songs by somebody you don't like as much.