PSA: EQ in the loop of a DMM tap tempo is brill!

KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
Inspired by the video below (and the EQ of the Carbon Copy Bright), I tried graphic EQ in the feedback loop of my DMM 1100TT. I initially used my home-studio-standby Zoom multi-fx for proof-of-concept, and confirmed that it gave some pleasing and usable results, albeit a pain to tweak because of the Zoom's format. Today I took delivery of a used MXR 6-band EQ pedal, and patched that into the loop.

The DMM is a stellar pedal anyway, but the addition of EQ control over the delayed signal vastly increases the range of sounds available. For the moment I have settled on about ±5dB@1.6kHz, +8dB@3.2kHz. This allows me to select between a lower level of delay/feedback, or a higher level with a much brighter and clearer repeat - it's not digital-style pristine, but then that's not what I want.

A word of warning - it is very easy to send the pedal into runaway oscillation by over-enthusiastic boosting, especially of mid and low frequencies.

I have also built an outboard switch to toggle between tap divisions (minor pedal mod also required), so as @dazzajl remarked on his recent visit, the DMM has a mini-pedalboard of its very own!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom