Uk builder Filter’Tron V TV Jones?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited June 2019 in Guitar
hi I’m really interested in getting some TV jones Classic / Classic + combo

i then thought we have some amazing UK builders, Creamer and mojotone are the ones I’m aware that provide these pickups.

anyone compared these? Or had experience with any of the above? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12493
    I had Alegree from this board build me a humbucker sized filtertron for my tele, absolutely love it.

https://i.imgur.com/6qR3BCY.jpg
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8075
    If you want the Filtertron sound, get Filtertrons. 

Many manufacturers make Filtertron look-a-likes, but the coils spacing is too wide, and they don’t sound right. More like a bright PAF Humbucker than a Filtertron. 

What style to you play?  If you play super clean country, then by all means get TV Classics. 

If you play with dirt or on the edge of breakup, the regular HS Filtertrons are hard to beat. 

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Agree - with @TheMarlin

Mojo - makes his own MojoTrons (as well as Gold Foils and P90s) https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    TheMarlin said:

Many manufacturers make Filtertron look-a-likes, but the coils spacing is too wide, and they don’t sound right. More like a bright PAF Humbucker than a Filtertron. 

What style to you play?  If you play super clean country, then by all means get TV Classics. 

If you play with dirt or on the edge of breakup, the regular HS Filtertrons are hard to beat. 

Marlin
    I play a bit of everything really mostly blues, funk, rock, rockabilly, indie

so go down Gretsch pickup route? 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I have three trad-sized trons from Fletcher pickups and like them fine, I've had TVJ but don't feel these are lacking in any way. Two are trad wind and one's in the 8k region. Got a short demo here of the trads, though mostly crunchy not clean, vid link
    I like 'em for everything, clean country, picking, crunch & fuzz mayhem.

The 8k is more middy, not wildly hotter like you might think being double the dcr, still has the sweet harmonic thing but pronounced mids to it.

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Corvus said:
    I have three trad-sized trons from Fletcher pickups and like them fine, I've had TVJ but don't feel these are lacking in any way. Two are trad wind and one's in the 8k region. Got a short demo here of the trads, though mostly crunchy not clean, vid link
    I like 'em for everything, clean country, picking, crunch & fuzz mayhem.

The 8k is more middy, not wildly hotter like you might think being double the dcr, still has the sweet harmonic thing but pronounced mids to it.

Nice!

fletcher pickups are really cheap! Why though? Makes me think they are not high enough quality?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Because he's not a 'name' maker I guess. Re quality like I said I don't think they're lacking, I bought another one from him after the first pair. There's people here that have others of his but the trons are the only ones I got so far, but will be getting some humbuckers for the next build.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    TheMarlin said:

Marlin
    I was going to say that but you beat me to it. I bought a few HS Filtertrons from the USA a few years ago when shipping wasn’t expensive and the U.K. £ was strong. I’ve installed them in several of my guitars and they have always sounded good.