NGD: Larrive.....erm....Martin 00-28

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I would have to consider room control if getting anything over £1k. Interesting, thanks! And enjoy!
    As in humidity you mean? I must admit it’s never something I’ve massively stressed about, maybe I should be!

The room I play tends to stay between 40 and 60 and touch wood I’ve never had any noticeable issues. I have been putting this back in the case each time though rather than hanging on the wall, not sure if that’s being overly cautious or whether it makes naff all difference!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920

TimmyO said:
    That's a gorgeous looking thing! 

I've never played a 00 
    It feels very similar in size to Taylor Grand Concert guitars I’ve had, the body size just feels right for me. 000/OM would be the biggest I’d want.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    The Reimagined series are superb.

Good choice mate ! Looks gorgeous 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Ooh, that looks lovely! 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Humidity yeah. I always used to put mine in cases but leave them out now - easier to grab! 

TBH I'd have to try and oo, ooo, om side by side. Also I see there's an oo18. I wanna try one of these now :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Good choice sir

For me Martin make the best acoustics 
    Until this is never played one I liked. Having said that they were all 1-11/16ths nut width which always felt fat too cramped for me and all longer scale. 

At the beginning of the thread, I was really wanting one of these.  This post has cured that.

Now I'm thinking about asking someone like Alister Atkin to build me one with a 1 11/16" nut though.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    crunchman said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Good choice sir

For me Martin make the best acoustics 
    Until this is never played one I liked. Having said that they were all 1-11/16ths nut width which always felt fat too cramped for me and all longer scale. 

At the beginning of the thread, I was really wanting one of these.  This post has cured that.

Now I'm thinking about asking someone like Alister Atkin to build me one with a 1 11/16" nut though.
    Atkins do not make a 14 fret 00, only 12 fret 00.

Few makers do, and the ones that do are generally 1 3/4" nuts eg Bourgeois. 

If you're happy with a Mahogany 00-18, then I'd recommend vintage as all non reissue 00-18's (14 fret) have 1 11/16" nuts, and if look carefully enough to find a early 50's one will be a bit more than the other ones, but IMO the 'mystery spruce' Martins are IMO some of the finest guitars ever made. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I was reading the OO models have a shorter scale length which makes string bending easier - i.e. maybe better for blues. I don't know if OO and OM fingerboard widths are the same (I'd always opt for a bit wider for fingerstyle).
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited June 2019
    I was reading the OO models have a shorter scale length which makes string bending easier - i.e. maybe better for blues. I don't know if OO and OM fingerboard widths are the same (I'd always opt for a bit wider for fingerstyle).
    00's generally have 24.9" scale, aside from the Furch 12 fretters which are 650mm scale. 

A 14 fret 000, has the same body size as an OM but is short scale, eg the 000-18, 000-28.  Nut width/string spacing is generally dependent on the model. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Scale length affect on sound is as significant as pliability imo 
    Red ones are better. 
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    Very nice! I was lucky enough to visit the Martin factory earlier this year and ever since I've been hell bent on buying one (hardly surprising!). Tried the 000-28, D-28, CEO-7, 00L-17 and the 00-28, definitely preferred the 00-28, though the CEO-7 was a close contender for me. Enjoy it!