2»

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4153
    Www.songsterr.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ScratcherScratcher Frets: 2
    skunkwerx said:
    You're just starting out. 

All this by ear stuff is 100% the correct way to learn, but in my opinion not for starters, as in, if you can't play a couple songs thru yet. 

Thats a recipe for becoming bored and frustrated.

Justin guitar has a great lot of stuff for absolute beginners.

You can learn the techniques, some chords, notes etc whilst being told what to play, so you can concentrate on actually learning the physical aspect. 

At the end you've learnt some chords, got an idea about what to do and most importantly can actually play something through on your guitar to break up the routine. 

Once you've got the basics down, ie actually being able to hit a bunch of notes at tempo and know some chords, then start his ear training programme (justin guitar) and have the discipline to build it in. 

Trick is not letting tablature become habit. But for people just starting out its necessary. 

What kind of music/songs do you want to play? 
    What do you want to get out of guitar? 

Make sure your practice lines up with the goals. 

I like most rock songs but am keen to learn anything that sounds like it should.
    I am following justinguitar lessons but feel I am stalling.
    As to what I want to get out of a guitar.its something I wanted to learn something of a challenge and I want to play solely for enjoyment.
    It is something totally new to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Scratcher said:
    skunkwerx said:
    You're just starting out. 

All this by ear stuff is 100% the correct way to learn, but in my opinion not for starters, as in, if you can't play a couple songs thru yet. 

Thats a recipe for becoming bored and frustrated.

Justin guitar has a great lot of stuff for absolute beginners.

You can learn the techniques, some chords, notes etc whilst being told what to play, so you can concentrate on actually learning the physical aspect. 

At the end you've learnt some chords, got an idea about what to do and most importantly can actually play something through on your guitar to break up the routine. 

Once you've got the basics down, ie actually being able to hit a bunch of notes at tempo and know some chords, then start his ear training programme (justin guitar) and have the discipline to build it in. 

Trick is not letting tablature become habit. But for people just starting out its necessary. 

What kind of music/songs do you want to play? 
    What do you want to get out of guitar? 

Make sure your practice lines up with the goals. 

I like most rock songs but am keen to learn anything that sounds like it should.
    I am following justinguitar lessons but feel I am stalling.
    As to what I want to get out of a guitar.its something I wanted to learn something of a challenge and I want to play solely for enjoyment.
    It is something totally new to me.
    I feel ya. 

Whats a song you want to learn? 

What aspect do you feel you're stalling at? Or just a general hit a barrier and not progressing? If so is it purely the not being able to get songs exact? 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ScratcherScratcher Frets: 2
    I think I have just hit a barrier.No specific song just something I can master this way I feel I am progressing.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Scratcher said:
    I think I have just hit a barrier.No specific song just something I can master this way I feel I am progressing.

Personally I have to be excited by a piece of music to want to put the work in to learn it.  Because then it's not work it's pleasure, putting little pieces of the jigsaw together.  What's the point otherwise?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5431
    If you can,  find other people to play with too.  Fastest way to learn is from others,  and it's generally much more fun playing with someone else (fnarr). Try not to freak out about not being "good enough" and see what happens. With the right people, it'll motivate you and pull you up.  It also gives a focus.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    The OP wants to learn to play guitar.  Which is great.  People on this website will help in any way they can if asked.

One issue with learning something (a song, solo or whatever) is that 'fixing' a fault is very difficult.  For example, in the 1970s I learned the song Folsum Prison Blues as we played it in pubs.  As the lead guitarist, it was up to me to learn any solos and intros.  At that time there was no tab, no internet or no books on guitar playing.  So I learned a version by listening to the record over and over.  I got most of it fairly right but the end bit totally wrong.  I felt my version was good enough, indeed we gigged it for years and nobody complained.  But now, even though there are videos etc. on how to play it note perfectly, I simply cannot get away from playing it the way I learned it.  Not a life threatening issue but try to learn it the right way first time.  You may need to take a few lessons from a teacher, best sooner than later.  You will learn more (from a teacher) in a month than a years internet and tab study.  Worth the effort.  And remember we play guitar for fun.  Enjoy the effort and your playing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    edited June 2019
    Lets not forget guys, sometimes its good to play freeform, don't worry about songs and just make stuff up as you go along. This way you get to do your own style of playing and work on that.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom