What's your favourite pickups for a Les Paul?

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2008
My favourite neck pickup has probably been the Yamaha Spinex (as found in an SG1000 or SG2000), because it's incredible for jazz.

My favourite bridge pickup has probably been the Seventy Seven AH255 (as found an Exrubato or Stork), because it had the perfect blend of PAF ballz and bite. 

I really like the Dimarzio Super Distortion, but I've only tried it in thinner Gibson-esque guitars, like a Dean V.

What's your picks? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14694
    P90. /thread

Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB (pre-2002 with JBJ sticker on the underside).
    Seymour Duncan Brobucker (Custom Shop jobbie, slightly overwound, mismatched coils.)
    Seymour Duncan SHPG-1n Pearly Gates neck
    Oil City Pickups Winterizer II neck
    Paul Reed Smith #7 pair on a 25" scale length.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
    Bare Knuckle Black Dog are the best I've tried. I had Mules for years but preferred the character of the BDs.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    OX4 PAF’s, beautifully airy and articulate but useless for Metal :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31793
    Well, P90s obviously, but my favourite H/B for general purpose use is the 498T, once you've put an A3 magnet in it. 

The magnet swap makes it more articulate and touch-sensitive, but it still has plenty of power and splits well. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thisweepy said:
    OX4 PAF’s, beautifully airy and articulate but useless for Metal :)
    This^ putting OX4's in my '04 standard has transformed it, I know a lot of people don't like them but they work really well with my set up.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    Original PAF/PAT

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I've had Bare Knuckle Mules and currently have Mojo PAFs. Very little in it. I fractionally prefer the Mojo neck and the Bare Knuckle bridge, but I can't say if they'd combine well because I never tried it. 

In an admission that will threaten my forum credibility forever, I also love the much-despised Gibson 496R/500T set. For a hard rock Les Paul I think they're great. I think their unpopularity must stem from most Gibson buyers wanting a vintage tone, because they're perfectly good high output pickups. 

Never used a JB in a Les Paul but I've got one kicking around so I might try it today.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31793
    In an admission that will threaten my forum credibility forever, I also love the much-despised Gibson 496R/500T set. For a hard rock Les Paul I think they're great. I think their unpopularity must stem from most Gibson buyers wanting a vintage tone, because they're perfectly good high output pickups. 
    It seems to be a given these days that everyone wants the most authentic PAF possible, when in fact most people don't really play the kinds of music for which they'd be most appropriate.

I like fairly scooped, low output single coils, but I vastly prefer my humbuckers to have a bit a power in reserve. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I like the Gibson ceramics like @jonnyscaramanga I also like Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats, which tap really well.

I also love Lollar Imperials for lower gain and clean tones. But they tend to shriek at higher gain and gig level volume.  
  • Bare knuckle rebel yell set. Suhr DA bridge 

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    Gassage said:
    Original PAF/PAT
    I agree - original PAF's still sound superb. Otherwise I've got Throbaks in one of mine, which are very good.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3503
    Mojo Speedbump. 
  • designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
    edited June 2019
    DryZ's 

I've tried Wizz, Mojo, Throbaks, PAT no, PAF's, 50's P90's. Although the 50's p90's were terrific and the PAF's were really good, Pickups from the 50's in particular are pretty inconsistent. For value for money and overall sound the DryZ's were the best for me.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It all depends what I’m playing, recently removed some very beautiful and expensive PAF clones from re-wind.net, and replaced them with some hot IronGears that were £70 and suit what I’m doing better.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1111
    Not tried many but my 2 LP's have a BKP Nailbomb in the bridge and I love it.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    I have Bareknuckle Stormy Monday in the neck and a PG Blues in the bridge. The PG blues gives a bit more push than the conventional stormy monday bridge. I've had PG blues set but didn't like the middle position. Hence this combo seems to work for me.

I've had Mules too but prefer the alnico 2 magnets in the stormies and pg blues.

Tried SD antiquities and didn't like them. Also had some BKP abraxas and too much push for me.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Dimebuckers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1504
    My favourite combination is a Bare Knuckle Alnico V Mule in the bridge and a Stormy Monday neck.    I have this set in a couple of guitars, including my Feline Lion Anniversary.  I like the PG Blues too and have that in a darkback 86 Goldtop.  
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1335
    Wolfetone Legends.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    WCR Darkbursts.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"