What's your favourite pickups for a Les Paul?

What's Hot

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    Iron Gear Tesla Sharks, have them in two of my Les Pauls and they are spot on for what I want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Very happy with the custombuckers in my R8. Loads of good pickup options though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    P90s all day long

If it had to be a mudbucker probably dimarzio pad pros for the cheap option and mojo pafs for the win
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2019
    Greco Dry Z so far.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24628
    SD Pearly Gates 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2416
    I've got Bare Knuckle Emeralds in my Les Paul and adore them. Nice thick neck and biting bridge that loves open chords. I've got Mules in my PRS Bernie and they are the Les Paul sound in my head - clear and versatile.
    Tim
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Would have to be Monty’s paf’s for me. Love them in my r8. I loved the ox4 pups I had in my old standard too. They did this telecaster on steroids thing really well. The Monty’s bridge pup in my r8 doesn’t do the telecaster on steroids thing as well. It doesn’t have that bite on the top. That could be the guitar though. It’s a beast!
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 341
    BKP Nailbomb. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    It was Classic 57's until I got Creamery 59's in my recently purchased PRS SE BM. The sound at any volume is articulate and just incredible.
  • Some weird old Maxons maybe they're U1000s or U2000s

I also really like the old Super 70s & I agree with @jonnyscaramanga ; the 500T  is great. I can't play metal, or shread, it's just really full & "harmonic" if that's the right word, I have a 498T its alnico relative which I need to try sometime.

There, I have no credibility whatever. Go me!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Wizz or Dry Z
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10684
    tFB Trader
    A pickup winder's view ... of course I don't buy PAFs I make them ... and so I can make any spec I want ... but
    Should I not be a pickup winder ... my choices of my top PAF models would be:

1. Original 1970s DiMarzio PAFs ... before Larry changed the formula to wind them hotter (I have a couple salted away for my retirement).

2. Original Ibanez Super 70s ... people should get over worrying about them being alnico 8 ... they sound glorious

3. Iron Gear Blues Engines. If I was money cramped ... I'd go for these: as well made as most US mass market pickups, and for less dosh than a good evening down the pub. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    A pickup winder's view ... of course I don't buy PAFs I make them ... and so I can make any spec I want ... but

1. Original 1970s DiMarzio PAFs ... before Larry changed the formula to wind them hotter (I have a couple salted away for my retirement).

2. Original Ibanez Super 70s ... people should get over worrying about them being alnico 8 ... they sound glorious

3. Iron Gear Blues Engines. If I was money cramped ... I'd go for these: as well made as most US mass market pickups, and for less dosh than a good evening down the pub. 

Ahh - I'd like those Dimarzios. Shame Larry changed them up, as the Bass Models are still great IMO.
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:

Ahh - I'd like those Dimarzios. Shame Larry changed them up, as the Bass Models are still great IMO.
    There seems to have been an very early eighties watershed ... perhaps caused by growing demand ... prior to this DiMarzios were more or less hand made. Perhaps with less demand for bass models they just let them be. Sadly the PAF's output went up, and it's clarity went down ... just as the Super Distortion took a nose dive in tone at the same time. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    Stormy Monday set is v cool in an LP.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited June 2019
    Bill Lawrence " the original" HBL/HBR 
  • I have a custom wound Blackbird from @OilCityPickups and I am very happy with it. I also like Seymour Duncan's, the Duncan Distortion particularly. Also have a soft spot for Bareknuckle Nailbombs.

Bye!

tFB Trader
    Bill Lawrence " the original" HBL/HBR 
    I'm glad someone mentioned Bill Lawrence, there's barely a pickup maker out there who hasn't been influenced by the late Bill Lawrence ... he was in many senses the first 'pickup guru' and a pioneer who largely pre-dated the replacement pickup revolution started by Larry DiMarzio, and Seymour Duncan.  

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited June 2019
    Some real PAFs compared to various modern clone attempts - I thought it was quite interesting at the time, especially how some which people always rave about didn't seem to compare very well to others, to my ear.

http://thedougandpatshow.com/chasing-oscar/
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4889
    TINMAN82 said:
    Very happy with the custombuckers in my R8. Loads of good pickup options though.
    Same here, whether it's the guitar itself or the Pickups I don't know, but they sound perfect in my R8.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.