I’m thinking of changing telecaster pickups , any advice please ?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’ve borrowed a nice mij tokai breezysound 62 custom style telecaster.
its a nice guitar , and I’ve been playing it a lot in the house , but I haven’t been gigging it .
one of the club bands I play in do punk / new wave stuff (stranglers , dickies, dead boys , buzzcocks, thunders , clash,stooges, damned , ramones  etc ) so I thought the breezy might fit . But the stock bridge pickup is a bit under powered for that type of thing.  
I wondered if it might be worth upgrading it to something more powerful and gigging it . It’d be good to get les Paul type output and crunch out of it (my other guitar is an lp custom ) but I don’t want to lose too much of the character of the guitar. 

What you guys reckon ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12416
    Tex Mex are quite punchy in a tele, I had them in a roadworn, they weren't vintage enough for me but sounded great with a bit of overdrive.
  • [scratched record] Oil City Diesel Tap.

Full output gives a substantially fatter tele sound, and you’ve got twang when tapped. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    Oil City Honky Tonk last time I went down this route - pure vintage at its best - Does everything a great Tele should
  • I was also going to suggest Oil City.
     A FortyNiner 

Chat to Ash, he'll see you right. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Plus one for Oil City Honky Tonk Angel. Mine sounded fab with our band last week. No pedals, crunchy amp, glorious. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Fender 51 Nocasters 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Seymour Duncan vintage Broadcaster in the bridge does it for me. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My dad had a Breezysound double bound custom in the late 80s that was an absolutely stonking guitar. Hope yours is as fantastic as that one was.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    That’s the best answer. We all have our individual preferences
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 111
    Check out the Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham. Martin is a Tele player in a Quo tribute band.He hand winds his own pick ups.Let him know what you're looking.He made some for me for a Tele (non Fender relic) .Wonderful sound.It's an option.p.s. the video on his site doesn't do the pups justice.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Roland said:
    That’s the best answer. We all have our individual preferences
    If it was talk to Marc, at mojo pickups i would agree

Mojo broadcaster set all the way
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Gibson SC Melody Maker, the single pickup model.  As much punk rock as you can handle.  And some more......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Why not just use your LP Custom?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 912
    edited June 2019
    Mojo Broadcaster or Esquire get my vote, the latter is slightly less trebly and a bit fuller sounding than the Broadcaster.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Why not just use your LP Custom?
    I do !! It’s for those times when it’s gettinf fixed or snapped a string .
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    edited June 2019
    Deacci (Northern Ireland) have some hotter winds available for Tele bridge pickups that might fit the bill for the sort of sounds you are going for.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    +1 for Oil City, the Wapping Wharf I had was nice and fat sounding, held up well next to my LP. It didn't quite have the midrange bite and top end I wanted though but may have been because it was in a telemaster which had a massive body compared to a Tele. In hindsight the Alligator 90 is probably what I should have gone for and if I get a Tele again it'll have one of them!
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Just turn the gain up on your amp or pedal, no one listening will give a shit anyway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    +1 for Oil City, the Wapping Wharf I had was nice and fat sounding, held up well next to my LP. It didn't quite have the midrange bite and top end I wanted though but may have been because it was in a telemaster which had a massive body compared to a Tele. In hindsight the Alligator 90 is probably what I should have gone for and if I get a Tele again it'll have one of them!
    The alligator is amazing. With the volume rolled off to 6 it sounds like a Tele, turn up the wick & you're in LP Jr snarl territory.
    I've got one in my Esquire & love it. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Are you sure it's a problem with the guitar? Some of the bands you cited had Tele players. Wouldn't the pickups have been similar/same as what we call "vintage"? Depending on your amp, wouldn't it be more a case of a bit more preamp gain or using a pedal?