The GigRig with HX Effects?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10228
    Okay that’s the wrong cable. That cable goes from centre negative to centre positive. Nothing to say that on the site. Could’ve damaged my pedal!!
    The item on the link you posted says...

"This RockBoard Power Ace Barrel Plug Converter, 2.1 x 5.5 mm to 2.5 x 5.5 mm Barrel is a power supply adapter that accomodates FX units such as Line 6 modeling pedals"

There's an inference there that it will work. Clearly, switching polarity without saying so is naughty, and yes - it could have fried a pedal if it didn't have some protection built in. 
    I was thinking maybe the Convertor bit was the get out for them, but to me it looked like it meant, convert the size from 2.1 to 2.5...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4788
    edited June 2019
    Okay that’s the wrong cable. That cable goes from centre negative to centre positive. Nothing to say that on the site. Could’ve damaged my pedal!!

"This RockBoard Power Ace Barrel Plug Converter, 2.1 x 5.5 mm to 2.5 x 5.5 mm Barrel is a power supply adapter that accomodates FX units such as Line 6 modeling pedals"

There's an inference there that it will work. Clearly, switching polarity without saying so is naughty, and yes - it could have fried a pedal if it didn't have some protection built in. 
    I was thinking maybe the Convertor bit was the get out for them, but to me it looked like it meant, convert the size from 2.1 to 2.5...
    I'd agree with your take on it. Just wondering, did you detect the polarity switch yourself or did they tell you that is what it does? If they told you, then they're definitely at fault for not saying so on their website. If you found out, maybe they're not supposed to switch polarity but this one was built incorrectly. Or, if they told you, they knew they had a bad batch but sold them anyway. 

You could switch the white and black leads in the Distributor to do a "double switch" and cancel one out with the other, couldn't you? 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10228
    edited June 2019

I'd agree with your take on it. Just wondering, did you detect the polarity switch yourself or did they tell you that is what it does? If they told you, then they're definitely at fault for not saying so on their website. If you found out, maybe they're not supposed to switch polarity but this one was built incorrectly. Or, if they told you, they knew they had a bad batch but sold them anyway. 

You could switch the white and black leads in the Distributor to do a "double switch" and cancel one out with the other, couldn't you? 
    I contacted the GigRig because I wasn’t getting anywhere with it and on forums and they looked into it and told me. It is a polarity convertor and adapter for a larger barrel at the same time. They just don’t make it clear in any of the shop sites. I emailed the shop I got it from. 

I’m not sure it would work because it’s not a straight through, I think it will always be centre positive at the end because of the barrel? Not 100 sure though. My knowledge of this is limited at best. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4788
    <snip>
    I contacted the GigRig because I wasn’t getting anywhere with it and on forums and they looked into it and told me. It is a polarity convertor and adapter for a larger barrel at the same time. They just don’t make it clear in any of the shop sites. I emailed the shop I got it from. 

I’m not sure it would work because it’s not a straight through, I think it will always be centre positive at the end because of the barrel? Not 100 sure though. My knowledge of this is limited at best. 
    GigRig tell you to connect their cables up to the distributor so the one with the white stripes is connected to the white terminal and the other to the black one, yes? That then means the centre of their plug is -tive and the barrel is +tive. When you add your new adapter to it, it then swaps your wiring so the centre of that plug is +tive and the barrel is -tive. If you swap the wires in the Distributor, the Distributor plug will be centre +tive and adding the adapter will swap it to be centre-tive. 

It shouldn't (fingers crossed) hurt to try it, as you've already proved that using centre +tive doesn't work but didn't fry the HX FX either, as it presumably has some protection to prevent damage. You can still run it on the Line6 PSU, so it still works after giving it centre +tive power. 

I don't think you should leave it like that, as you'll forget you changed it or why, but just to test the Generator will do the job, maybe? 
  • Interesting discussion. I dabbled with various supplies before having the Strymon Zuma and Ojai extension module recommended to me. Just perfect albeit not cheap. Nine 500mA outputs two of which are switchable, 9,12,18V. The Ojasi offers a further five 500mA outputs and plugs into the Zuma. 

did make my own triple cable for my HX Effects and a double for my Gigrig Atom. No issues at all power wise that way. I believe ready made doubles are available online and maybe a triple too. The large centre pin of the HX is inconvenient as is the reverse polarity of the Eventide H9 but they come with a convertor cable.

A disturbing issue I still haven't resolved with the HX Effects is that of it crashing when receiving Expression pedal commands from the Gigrig controller! It's a real issue for me as I use that all the time on my board. Oddly my old controller, a Music EFX Mk2 was fine. I read somewhere that the HX Effects is prone to buffer issue with lots of Midi commands and I'm currently looking into this. I use a midi logger and can see no difference in messages sent, so the speed seems plausible.

So care when considering a controller methinks. I am contacting GigRig as it\s a fatal issue for me and I can zee no way around it.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited October 2023
    I think you've posted about the same issue on two threads here??

Gigrig now have an adaptor that will handle the HX no problem (Mr universe??) Or you can use the approach I've taken with it - isolate every other output from the Generator and make sure the HX is has the 'direct' power with everything else isolated from it. Works a treat. 

Word of warning - I had a Zuma R300 and it DID NOT reliably power my HX Effects. Sometimes it did, sometimes it did then suddenly didn't, mostly it got stuck in a startup loop...

This was using the Voodoo Labs adaptor off of 2 of the Strymon's outputs btw...
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    Reviving this thread to see how people are powering the HX Stomp with the Gigrig PSU?
    I Had a plethroa X5 isolated byproxy as it was the only pedal coming straight out of the distributor. This gave it enough power 600ma and isolated it. I'm wondering if swapping it with the HX Stomp will do the same. So long as the rest of my pedals combined dont exceed the generators 5000ma it should be ok shouldn't it? I'll also need the plug adapter.
  • paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 71

I use the GigRig distributor direct, I bought the Mr Universe adapter to use, but it didnt quite work.  The draw is greater than 1000mA  especially on startup.

So I use it exactly how you are using it with the plethora and not had any issues.  As you say keep it under the 5000ma and you will be good.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    paulcaye said:

I use the GigRig distributor direct, I bought the Mr Universe adapter to use, but it didnt quite work.  The draw is greater than 1000mA  especially on startup.

So I use it exactly how you are using it with the plethora and not had any issues.  As you say keep it under the 5000ma and you will be good.   

Yeah still doing this, works fine, just isolate everything BUT the HX. 

I run 2 pedals and the HX off a 3-way daisy chain connected to the Generator. 

HX is straight in, the other two have one of those Joyo isolators each. So everything isolated from each other, nice and quiet. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28346
    I would imagine that the GigRig people would be VERY happy to help you with this. Have you tried emailing them?
    You make it sound so simple. 

Possibly because it is. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."