Ohms and effect on volume

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 831
Just curious.

Amp has an 8 ohm speaker connected but also has output for 4 ohm. If I bought/used similar spec speaker which was rated at 4 ohms would it produce less volume? Would it break up similarly? Hope that makes sense!

Any other effects too sound?

As I say I'm just curious to the effect (if any).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    If it’s a valve amp and the output transformer is designed correctly then it will make no difference to the volume, if the speakers are the same type. It might change the tone a bit since the speaker will probably not sound identical even if it’s meant to - but it will be close.

If you want less volume and earlier breakup then you need a less efficient speaker, the impedance doesn’t matter.

Or you could try connecting the existing 8-ohm speaker to the 4-ohm output - this is safe with almost all amps, and will give a small volume drop and a slightly different tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 831
    Thank you: )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom