Selling/ trading in a Gibson Custom shop ...do I restore it with original pick ups?

What's Hot
Ok so wanting to sell or trade a Gibson custom shop guitar which currently has creamery pick ups in.  The neck volume does not turn all the way off so was planning on getting it fixed before selling or trading it in.

Is it worth putting the original pick ups back into the guitar?  Would you rather have a Gibson/Fender custom shop type of guitar all original?  Does it make a difference in the price I would get?

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5461
    I would. I’d sell the Creamery stuff separately too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    The aftermarket pickups are not going to really affect the price of the guitar. You’ll do better restoring it and selling them separately. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10892
    tFB Trader
    Restore it ... it probably won't make much difference to the price ... but it'll make it sell quicker.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree. Restore original pickups. More likely to sell too IMO. 

That not a dig at Creamery, I have them on 2 guitars also. Buyers expectations are usually conservative.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10892
    tFB Trader
    Agree. Restore original pickups. More likely to sell too IMO. 

That not a dig at Creamery, I have them on 2 guitars also. Buyers expectations are usually conservative.
    They can be the best aftermarket pickups in the world ... but buyers like to make their own choice, and original pickups give them a blank slate/known quantity.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Really appreciate the advice... many thanks everybody.  The creamery pickups are noiseless P90s and are really great... will put them on the market as well.  Cheers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    As already said, original - easier to sell, worth no less, and you get to keep or sell some valuable pickups.

If the volume control is not turning all the way off, before you replace it, get some narrow-nose pliers and squeeze the rivet on the ground terminal hard onto the track board. This problem is usually caused by the rivet being strained when the tab is bent back to solder it to the pot casing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2230
    I'd reinstall the originals.  Potential buyers always try to beat you down on the price if anything is non-original.  Even if it's a massive upgrade.  
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    All original for sure
  • Certainly put it back to stock if you can. You'll make more money selling the upgrade pickups seperately and it's always easier to sell a high end guitar that's 100% stock ..
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.