Ah, so it wasn't a dream... NPSGD

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Turns out I really did buy this:

It's an MSA Classic pedal steel, I guess from the Seventies. Bought very speculatively in an online auction that only had one photo. Thankfully it seems to be in reasonably good shape as far as I can tell.

I have already learned two important lessons. One, that taking a pedal steel through London on public transport is not for the faint-hearted. Two, that if the auction listing doesn't mention a case, it's a mistake to assume that there's going to be a case. Yesterday was a fun day!

Awaiting the arrival of a new set of strings, then I'm going to give it a good clean-up and see if I can figure out what everything does!
2reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    That looks amazing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Wow, that’s an amazing thing. Very nice buy. 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Looks superb.
     I’d love to have a go on one of those, but I believe you need a brain the size of a planet to play one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    Lovely. I've had a single neck E9th ShoBud Lloyd Cole model and a twin neck E9th and C6th ShoBud Pro.

Both lovely instruments but to be perfectly honest, the learning curve was too steep. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    Yes it's pretty daunting isn't it... I'm struggling to get my head round the idea that you need to have two necks because having just one is too limiting!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited June 2019
    Congratulations, that's a lovely looking piece of kit. There's  hours of fun (learning) to be had there! I'd love to own something like that and get my Gilmour on! What songs are you hoping to learn to play or are you just going to improvise to a beat?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    That looks amazing, and some what intimidating!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Eight pedal's and two knee levers?!!! Best of luck with that ;) :D 
  • Looks very inviting. I'm a bit jealous. Enjoy!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Wow, that truly is a mad looking bit of kit.  Does it djent?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18966
    Stuckfast said:
    Turns out I really did buy this:

It's an MSA Classic pedal steel, I guess from the Seventies. Bought very speculatively in an online auction that only had one photo. Thankfully it seems to be in reasonably good shape as far as I can tell.

I have already learned two important lessons. One, that taking a pedal steel through London on public transport is not for the faint-hearted. Two, that if the auction listing doesn't mention a case, it's a mistake to assume that there's going to be a case. Yesterday was a fun day!

Awaiting the arrival of a new set of strings, then I'm going to give it a good clean-up and see if I can figure out what everything does!
    That is absolutely awesome.
    Did you knit the rug it stands on, while playing it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3265
    Sympathies carrying a pedal steel around the city, it’d be bad enough in a case, heavy heavy buggers!

On the flip-side, it’s home now, you can enjoy the swathes of pedal steel loveliness and let them wash over you. :)
    Happy new pedal steel day.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Good Man........or rather " Good ' Ol Boy " .........hope it came with a Stetson 
    2 necks - One for  Country and one for Western 
    My guitar Teacher is one of the top session players in UK along with Sarah Jory and Jerry Hogan
    I've had a quick lesson and talk through out of curiosity ......Wow , Good luck with that 
    Still waiting impatiently for my new strings! At the moment I can only use the C6 neck as the E9 is missing four strings. On the plus side it feels as though I can carry over some RH techniques from acoustic fingerpicking which is a bonus. The left hand is more of a challenge. And the feet, and the knees...
    A quick update for anyone who cares... By pure chance it turns out that the UK's leading pedal steel repair / maintenance / teaching guru lives not too far from me. He has been super helpful and done a ton of work on it -- it's basically a very good instrument, luckily, but had been set up in a weird way and needed raising up to accommodate my freakishly long legs. So now I have it back and I'm loving the challenge -- it's going to be a long road, though. Even the church organ doesn't require you to use both knees as well as both feet and hands!
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited June 2019
    I was once in a band with a left-handed pedal steelie......ace player!  They have a beautiful sound but hard work to master.
    Very fortunate to find an expert not too far away.
    Best of luck, will look forward to hearing about your progress.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Very cool.  I started learning on a 6 string lapsteel recently, I can't imagine what you're up against.  Lucky you have someone knowledgeable close by.  I'm in Canada and nobody even knows what these things are!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    Lawks!  How do you play that thing?!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Well as far as I can tell the principle is that you *can* slide the bar up and down the neck, but really it's bad form to do so if you can make changes using the pedals and levers...
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
    I play on the country circuit, and a good steelie* is a joy to hear. Takes a while to become 'good' though!

*steelie - player of the pedal steel guitar