Anybody-else go to the Andertons Robben Ford clinic last night?

What's Hot
ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
There were quite a few folks there - I was just wondering if any of the folks here were some of them...?
Not much of the gear, even less idea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Was it good? Insightful? Entertaining?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Is he the guy thats identical to Andy Timmons?  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It sounds like a drug rehab programme
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    He's a very laid back guy, and very friendly !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    thegummy said:
    You're thinking of Aunt Bessies
  • prlgmnr said:
    thegummy said:
    You're thinking of Aunt Bessies
    Yorkshire puddings?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11774
    thegummy said:
    The Andertons Betty Ford clinic is just being sat watching Chappers and the Captain advertise gear at you until you promise to never do drugs again...

When you leave you get a free Squier Danish Pete Bullet Tele, so it's not all bad...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Didn't know Robben was playing at Andertons.....would have gone along.  Saw him at Peach a few years ago and he was great.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    love to have been there, such a superb guitarist
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    He did another one in Edinburgh last night. Quite a drive for me, but well worth it. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited June 2019
    Was it good? Insightful? Entertaining?
    In order;

50/50.
    Not if you've ever read even a single interview with him.
    The musical bits, definitely.

He's a bit of an odd fish. Obviously his playing is sublime - and the tunes he played were fantastic (as was the band, with the excellent Darby Todd on drums (who I've previously seen in Buddy Whittington's band) and a very good bass player whose name I didn't catch), but he didn't appear to be relaxed at any stage of the proceedings - at all. He was guarded with his responses, not quite to the point of mild paranoia, but not that far short. I mean, it could have been yet another example of the communications gap that manifests itself between some Americans and some Britons where, for instance, an American will make a humorous remark and then feels the need to immediately follow that up with the totally unnecessary, "That's a joke, of course", or where a British person will make a possibly clumsy humorous remark and an American will take it as a personal slight. Equally, he can hardly be blamed for some of the poor questions he was asked, but he was directly responsible for all the poor answers he gave to them.

It was nice to see him in a small venue and to hear him play live again (it seems like a very long time since I've been able to do that) and his frankly unholy fat Telecaster bridge pickup tone was worth the price of admission alone! He was also generous enough to do a meet-and-greet with the entire audience afterwards and happy to have photos taken with fans and sign items (including guitars, which I've seen him refuse to do in the past) but even that was tainted by the merch table having his latest CD (available on Amazon, brand new, for £8) being sold from a box that had clearly been sent straight to him from his record label (so, presumably, for free - or, at most, at cost) on sale at £20 a pop.

All in all, the event was nice and I enjoyed myself, but I don't feel the overwhelming need to go to one again.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ^ that was kind of the problem when I went to see Greg Koch, that I've heard everything he has to say before. Still, nice that Robben had a band rather than backing tracks and to see him in a small setting.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Was it good? Insightful? Entertaining?

He's a bit of an odd fish. Obviously his playing is sublime - and the tunes he played were fantastic (as was the band, with the excellent Darby Todd on drums (who I've previously seen in Buddy Whittington's band) and a very good bass player whose name I didn't catch)

As EricTheWeary says, great that he had a band there. I'm sure that made a difference & I would not have expected that.