Crossrock Les Paul cases

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1468
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Just a note to let folk know not to bother with these Les Paul cases, they are too deep for a normal Les Paul so the guitar rests on the neck rather than the body and when the case is closed the guitar actually flaps about inside!

Its a shame as the case looks nice and seems ok quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossrock-Hardshell-Electric-Guitars-CRW600LBK/
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks for the warning.

I have been duped into accepting 3rd party cases that turned out to be more dangerous to the guitar than no case at all. Proper support in the right places is vital. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'd have thought that if you're not using a Gibson case but want a proper hardcase, Hiscox us the only viable alternative. Am I wrong? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd have thought that if you're not using a Gibson case but want a proper hardcase, Hiscox us the only viable alternative. Am I wrong? 

Your not wrong about Hiscox, but the only alternative?

A visit to a local music store with plenty of cases is always worth a try. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    I have a Kinsman (Deluxe Brown Vintage) one that fits really well but fancied something that looks a bit more like my historic cases. The Gator LPS Brown looks quite cool might try that one when the refund comes in from the Crossrock!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18970
    Aren't the majority (or a lot) of Gibson branded cases actually made by TKL in Canada?

I have always found Gator or Hiscox to be good cases, but there are often subtle variations in fit, so try before you buy if you can.

Also bought a Thomann tweed strat type case as it looked cool & was dead cheap.
    I wouldn't trust it to travel far with, but as a posting box or for light duty, it's fine.

For serious work, I would only ever completely trust my Gibson 1970's Protector 'chainsaw' case, which also doubles up as a car jacking support.

Or, get familiar with various sizes & densities of foam & a scalpel/craft knife. 
    Plus this gives you a genuine 'Custom' case for very little cash 
    ;) 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7074
    tFB Trader
    I like the SKB TSA cases. The SKB-56 is very strong and fits a Les Paul perfectly.

• Or, get familiar with various sizes & densities of foam & a scalpel/craft knife. 
    Plus this gives you a genuine 'Custom' case for very little cash 
    ;) 
    I have some shaped foam and polystyrene mods in a dreadful Stagg case. It was meant to be a temp job before getting a proper case. The Stagg is fit for junking. Nothing more. 

Useful case tip: If the headstock is too angled, the neck may not be supported by the case's neck rest. use some foam pipe lagging to beef up the neck rest. Quick, easy & effective.
  • Another one to be careful of is Thomann's budget ABS plastic Les Paul type case. It might be fine if the guitar has a shallow head angle, but no go with the usual angle, or if the guitar has a bigger head like a Custom, it ends up with the head propping the neck up off the neck rest.
    It's a shame as the case is actually very well made for the price & has more latches than more expensive alternatives, so if it does fit it could be good value.

Some SKB cases are very good, but I sent a fancy TSA one back because the hinges were junk, small & made of very thin plate, I could imagine them failing while the latches stayed solid. You usually don't see pictures of the hinges online, worth checking in person if possible. They often seem to be a weak point.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Trying to find a decent case to fit a Les Paul Special at the moment.... quite the PITA....no I don't want a folded towel!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4197
    Gator Les Paul cases are worse than useless imho, Hiscox generally are the most robust of the non-flightcase style cases