NGD - Squier Classic Vibe

What's Hot
mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Just received this from a seller on ebay. Needed to scratch the strato -itch..

If i'm honest , I think my expectation was set a bit high so i'm not overly impressed, the neck seems rather small, but everyone raves about the neck so maybe it's a taste thing. It does sound great and I'll see how I get on otherwise it'll probably be traded for a fat neck strat .. I also didn't realise how small the trem block was going to be, i'm sure it has a minimal effect on amplified tone? 

Obligatory images (from the ebay post), pretty sure they all look the same...

https://imgur.com/a/Vi9R1LH
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks nice. I personally prefer a slim neck, though I have a couple of baseball bats that I manage ok with. Hopefully you will be able to get used to it. Maybe even like it?

A wimpy trem block often gets bad press. Bottom line is that if the thing sounds good, then leave it. 
    Personally I believe that too much sustain can have a negative impact on tone/sound. 

Enjoy!

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The thin necks is the main criticism I've ever seen about CV strats and teles. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11775
    mrleon83 said:
    I also didn't realise how small the trem block was going to be, i'm sure it has a minimal effect on amplified tone?
    I can't see how it could possibly have an effect you would notice, personally.

CVs are excellent guitars, Squiers tend towards thinner necks and personally I prefer that, because I have stubby fingers, but YMMV.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703

They are nice guitars, but I don't like the necks at all.  I wish Squier did some chunkier necks, It's CS or American Original before you seem to get away from Fenders slim necks (The 50's Baja 50's being an exception, but that is a V shape, which is bad).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    The neck on my Fender Classic 60s Lacquer Strat seems remarkably thin to me - one day I'll take some measurements and see how it compares to the Classic Vibes. It's definitely slimmer than my previous Classic 60s. My CV Jazz Bass has a niice neck though, a solid handful but easily manageable.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

They are nice guitars, but I don't like the necks at all.  I wish Squier did some chunkier necks, It's CS or American Original before you seem to get away from Fenders slim necks (The 50's Baja 50's being an exception, but that is a V shape, which is bad).
    Funnily enough I wanted a Baja for years then found out about the chunky neck which was mostly what put me off.

I much prefer slim necks so it's a shame I have the logo allergy or the CV Tele could be a good punt for me.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    The necks do seem a bit small at first but I found them quite easy to get used to. I bought a Simon Neil Strat a few years ago on eBay, the previous owner had fitted a full size steel trem block, cts pots , Switchcraft switch and jack socket and a paper in oil tone capacitor. It’s a great little guitar, noticeably better than other classic vibes I own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    So, I'm still not enjoying the neck dimensions .. so this may be going up for trade ... gutted as the reviews go me super excited ...