Biasing with Jan Philips 6l6 WGB's

What's Hot
liftmanliftman Frets: 61
Just ordered a pair of Jan Philips 6l6 WGB's for a Bandmaster RI 57,  going to take it to a tech for biasing. There's a bit a conflicting opinion online whether you should bias the amp as with 6l6 GC 's or differently. Anyone have any experience with these ? Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3189
    tFB Trader
    Why not just bias the valves to run efficiently in the amp and measure operating condition afterwards? Seems to me a better way rather than picking a number off the internet and going with that.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72825
    RiftAmps said:
    Why not just bias the valves to run efficiently in the amp and measure operating condition afterwards? Seems to me a better way rather than picking a number off the internet and going with that.
    +1. Ideally you should bias using a scope to look for crossover distortion, not by dissipation.

But if you don't have access to one, the 6L6WGB is rated for a maximum plate dissipation of 26W, so you should bias no hotter than 18W, or 44mA if the HT voltage is the same as a vintage 5E7 (410V). ~45mA if measuring cathode current. But I wouldn't bias GCs any hotter than that anyway, since the bias point is determined by the circuit and not by the maximum rating of the valve if you use a higher-rated type than the circuit was designed for.

Make sure the amp is set for 240V first, if it has that option. All Fender amps sold in Europe are set to 230V and run slightly too hot in the UK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited June 2019
    I’ve had a couple of sets of the 6l6wgb’s in my bandmaster reverb heads and never had any problems. Different circuit I know, but have them biased around 28-30ma.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1643

Whatever bias point you choose it will shift! New valves these days seem to have excess grid current (not burned in long enough) so you set bias and leave the amp for an hour (I used to run bassy programme through them at 1/2 power) when you come back it will have moved, usually down a bit but sometimes up. Then, bias current depends on the drive "history". Drive the tits off it for ten, especially if you go into clipping, and Ia will be higher and take a minute to fall.

Bottom line, ain't that critical.

Almost all B's amps were biased for 25mA and I never had a request to bias one hotter.

Dave.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ecc83 said:

Whatever bias point you choose it will shift! New valves these days seem to have excess grid current (not burned in long enough) so you set bias and leave the amp for an hour (I used to run bassy programme through them at 1/2 power) when you come back it will have moved, usually down a bit but sometimes up. Then, bias current depends on the drive "history". Drive the tits off it for ten, especially if you go into clipping, and Ia will be higher and take a minute to fall.

Almost all B's amps were biased for 25mA and I never had a request to bias one hotter.

Dave.

I suspect JAN Phillips 6L6's are not new production valves.............
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited June 2019
    I had one in for service a while ago and I'm sure the anode volts were closer to 450v, looking at my notes I biased a set of JJ 6L6GCs at about 38mA off the cathode. Forgot to add I did the 240v voltage swap as well, but it's a cut and sleeve job, as there are no spare terminals  unlike say a HRD.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1643
    jpfamps said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

I suspect JAN Phillips 6L6's are not new production valves.............

Bias point will still shift with programme drive history.

Dave.

• liftmanliftman Frets: 61
    Thanks everyone!