Speaker upgrade needed

mbembe Frets: 1840
I have 2 amps with Celestion Tube 10 speakers fitted as standard. An Ibanez TSA-5 Tubescreamer amp and a Randall RX20R. I know they're both budget units but they are versatile enough for my purposes. 

I seem to be getting the same sonic signature from both amps that has a hard edge to it, not entirely pleasant. This leads me to conclude that I might get better tone with a speaker change.

As always I am all ears to the wise guys of the forum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Yes, the Tube 10 has a distinctive metallic upper-midrange spike in my experience.

What sort of tone/amp sound/music genre are you looking for? Bear in mind the Ibanez amp is also quite middy... I think the Randall possibly less so, although I haven't played that exact model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited June 2019
    Yes, the Randall is bright on the clean channel but the gain channel does clean to distortion pretty good. The TSA5 has improved with Ruby valves changed to Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 and TAD 6V6, but still getting that spike.

I suppose warm crunch describes the tone I favour. I was thinking of buying either an Eminence Legend 1058 or a Jensen MOD 10-50, as they seem more efficient, and then trying it in both amps.