CNC vs handmade

What's Hot
MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
Although I was never a believer of “mojo”, I still found this video enlightening...

https://youtu.be/wfPU42tLruc

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I love Rhett's videos. Saw this the other day and it's interesting to see there's not THAT much difference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    Coronation Street is on so no chance of watching it yet (well she puts up with the guitars) but my first thoughts are that the handmade one looks a better piece of wood(s).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18964
    And if they had the blanks the other way round, it would still look the same.
    CNC doesn't affect woodgrain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    CNC or Handmade - Someone still has to select the wood regardless - Both operators can do this just as well, providing you are comparing the merits of a pro orientated build, or indeed a low end build

CNC will cost a lot of money to install into any business - As such there is a tale to be told in that small builders will try and sell the merits of hand build - Whilst a large business will insist CNC is better, quicker and more accurate - Not sure how many bodies/necks you need to build each year to justify the CNC costs - Even smaller companies like Tom Anderson, who produces around 1000 guitars a year will utilise CNC - Small custom builders like Huber states hand crafted with a bit of help from a CNC machine and builds around 200 a year 

The accuracy to which a CNC can cut a body/neck blank is about 3 times smaller than a hair - So no worries about its accuracy - But it is down to the set-up/programming - garbage in garbage out

Regardless of which is allegedly better, both options can offer perfection or mediocrity - It is more about the final result and the companies ethos as to what they are trying to build and at what price

I think I'm right in saying, all CNC machines will leave cutting blade marks and as such all will need hand sanding out - A minor hint of a graze on a bare blank, will magnify no end once you've applied a finish to it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom