Fitting grille cloth?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3655
I just realised, I dont have a staple gun! Any tips, tricks?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12454
    Get a staple gun. You'll end up getting one. Just do it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72764
    munckee said:
    Get a staple gun. You'll end up getting one. Just do it. 
    This. And 8mm staples.

And a pin hammer if you don't have one, since the staple gun often doesn't drive them fully tight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3655
    One of these do the job?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb515stp-15mm-electric-nailer-stapler-240v/99925

Or a cheap hand powered one?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stapler-nailer/10110#product_additional_details_container

I have read people use a hair dryer to tighten it up a little, there isnt any need for that surely?

I e done it a few times with a hand staple gun with no problems. Didn't use a hairdryer. It's not too hard, try retolexing!!
    munckee said:
    I e done it a few times with a hand staple gun with no problems. Didn't use a hairdryer. It's not too hard, try retolexing!!
    Is that a yoga type thing? I dont think its going to be so bad I need to do some yoga first, do I? I take it stretching it isnt a good idea either? Ive reupholstered chairs before and had to stretch the fabric like buggery.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What sort of cloth is it? I did it with oxblood and a plain cotton type cloth and didn't stretch it just stapled one side then the other then the top then the bottom. 
    Its pretty much the same thing thats on there, its like a plastic type thing, its not cotton. I suppose if its tight it will be all right. Did you double over the parts that the staple goes through to give it more to grip?
    No but logically that sounds a good idea. The oxblood was too thick. 
    Ah, this stuff is a fairly loose weave and quite thin, its strong but fragile at the same time.
    robgilmo said:
    Ah, this stuff is a fairly loose weave and quite thin, its strong but fragile at the same time.
    Like me.  Should be fine to double, pull it reasonably tight but not so tight you distort it. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    No you don't need a hairdryer or a water sprayer, that is internet forum nonsense. There are some crap tutorials online too that show the wrong technique. It takes a bit of practise to get right but is not too difficult. The hard part is setting the right amount of tension in the material (thats where the hairdryer & water nonsense comes from, because people do it wrong).

Staple all 4 corners down first (2 or 3 staples per corner edge), you will always have a perfectly straight grill cloth if you do it this way. Any other method and you are likely to have corners that bend off and look wonky.

Staple along the side edges last, keeping the thread in line with the baffle edge, and this tightens up the material.