Gibson Les Paul Studio - thoughts please

What's Hot
BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
I am currently in a pretty bad state with depression for various reasons and to try and distract myself I am trying to focus on music things. 

I have currently got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro which I love. I am sure that many of you will probably shake your head at the thought of an Epiphone but it’s what I have.  However, I also would love a ‘proper’ Gibson Les Paul but sadly my finances just don’t stretch to a Standard, which is what I would love.  However, I could potentially reach the budget needed for a Studio eventually. 

Please could anybody give me any thoughts, opinions or input about the Studios, I am a pretty much ‘know nothing’ when it comes to stuff like this so would really appreciate your help. Are they a decent guitar, are they viewed as a proper LP or are they looked on as a lesser guitar.. anything that might help would be good thank you. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well the Epi is also a proper LP... I have a Gibson goldtop and a couple of Epiphones. The Gibson is a lovely instrument but it’s not a million miles from the Epi’s.
     How about a set of new strings, maybe a pick up change and save for the Gibson of your dreams. It’ll make it all the sweeter when you get it. FWIW I had to have a gold top...
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'm sorry to hear about the struggles. I've been there (again recently) and know how it is.

The Studios are the real thing, they just don't have all the trimmings. Same wood, proper pickups. They're actually my favourites, because they don't have all the flash. A second hand example from the 90s* is on my wishlist at the moment. 

*They're meant to be a really good era, but I'm more interested in it because that we the time I first started getting into guitar in general and LPs in particular. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I have a 2010 LP studio and it plays great. Much lighter than a standard and not as expensive! I have done several mods to it however, I've installed in Earvana nut, change the stock tailpiece to aluminium one which is lighter which produces more sustain. I've also changed the bridge pickup as well to a BKP ceramic Nailbomb. Lastly I've disconnected the bridge tone pot for a hotter signal. Funnily enough I've done pretty much the same mods to an Epiphone Les Paul standard bar the tone pot and an alnico Nailbomb they play on par with each other! 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Nothing wrong with studios. My first Gibson was a Les Paul studio doublecut and it was awesome. I think with the studios they look best in a dark colour. I really like a black studio  
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Is it the Gibson name you’re after or just a higher quality instrument from your Epi?  If the latter then there are many MIJ brands that make some excellent Les Pauls. Tokai, Burny, Greco and Edwards being the main ones that spring to mind. You can get a lot of guitar for Les Paul studio money. I would say if you’re after the name, then a studio is excellent. If you want a higher quality Les Paul with the trimmings, then a Tokai etc is the way ahead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18782
    Blackjack said:
    I am currently in a pretty bad state with depression for various reasons and to try and distract myself I am trying to focus on music things. 

I have currently got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro which I love. I am sure that many of you will probably shake your head at the thought of an Epiphone but it’s what I have.  However, I also would love a ‘proper’ Gibson Les Paul but sadly my finances just don’t stretch to a Standard, which is what I would love.  However, I could potentially reach the budget needed for a Studio eventually. 

Please could anybody give me any thoughts, opinions or input about the Studios, I am a pretty much ‘know nothing’ when it comes to stuff like this so would really appreciate your help. Are they a decent guitar, are they viewed as a proper LP or are they looked on as a lesser guitar.. anything that might help would be good thank you. 
    Hang in there & get as much help as you possibly can, from wherever you can.
     The fact that you can talk about it here, is a really huge positive, so good on you.

Anyway, why shouldn't you love your Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro? They are good guitar's IMHO.
    Gibson Studio's are also good guitars, but in a blind test I doubt that many people could actually tell the difference.
    Most people couldn't hear the difference between any guitar ...( check out this excellent thread).
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154250/gringos-clean-test-can-you-pass/p1

Don't get hung up on badges & headstocks & just enjoy playing & talking bollocks on this forum  ;)

• ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    edited June 2019
    I have two studios and a standard and my go to guitar is always a studio. Imo the standards are great but your paying for bells and whistles. Pickup a studio you wont be disappointed, just shop around and as usual pick the one that feels right.
    I've been there with depression so I feel for you but just know that your not alone, it's a cliche sorry but it's true.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    A new guitar always makes me feel better and if you need a Gibson then a studio will put a shine on your day - buy and enjoy ;)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Yes as others have said.. You are certainly not alone.. We all go through it at one point or another.. Talking about it usually helps....  

As for studios..  They are just as much a Gibson as any other. They are all made in the same place by the same people with the same components... They just have less bling than a Standard level guitar (binding, thick finish and fancy headstock inlay).

If you don't mind the lack of bling maybe take it a step further and get a Tribute Studio.. They have an even thinner finish so are cheaper.. I have one and love it as much as my Standard and Classic.

The thing with Les Pauls and well most guitars really but especially Les Pauls, is they are all ever so slightly different. They are hand finished so theres slight differences in the neck shape, tenon angle and setup. Those small differences make a huge difference to the player...  So really, try as many as you can, its worth the effort when you find one that you really click with.. 

When I bought my Tribute Studio I liked so many of the available colours... So I just went and tried like ten of them as I really couldn't decide.. The last one I played was a Goldtop which I hadn't even really considered before but THE SECOND I strummed it I knew instantly it was the one for me..  Never looked back.

Good luck with everything and come and of course we expect pictures of what ever you end up with

My tribute Studio..  Love it  
    https://i.imgur.com/GenDvu0.jpg
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I’ve had one standard, two studios and bags full of depression. 

The really big part of your post is talking about it here. A huge and brave move. If you ever want to talk, I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s ‘door is always open’

As for the guitar, Studios are awesome! Both of mine sounded huge and the satin finish feels much nicer in the hand to me than the gloss versions. You’ll love it. 

How much more than than your Epi, well that’s something for another thread. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I think those gibson fadeds that are knocking around are everything a studio should be, just bare basics on finish but I think the bourbon looks great

what are they like £599 new? used studios go for that price
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Lots of us have been there man, I hope things turn around for you, they generally do. Go to a guitar shop and try a Studio, even if you dont want to play it, pick it up, hold it, strum a few chords on it, see how it makes you feel cos thats the most important thing. Your Epiphone is a good guitar, I have an Epi 56 Goldtop and as much as Id like a Gibbo the Epiphone does everything I need it to do. If a couple of grand dropped out of the sky onto my lap right now I doubt Id be buying a Gibbo with it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    A Studio is more like a Custom isn't it? Due to having the sams pups as a Custom. Right?

I have one from the 90s. I gig with it often. I stared at it from my bed before going to sleep for weeks when I first got it. It has some flame, which is weird.

Still, if I'm being objective it's probably the best playing guitar and I've got Fender standards and expensive vintage guitars.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Aw thanks guys! Your thoughts and inputs are very much appreciated indeed.  

If if I am honest, I am really happy with my Epi Custom.  It is VERY well made and finished especially for its price, it stays in tune incredibly well, it’s lovely to play, it has good pups in it and it’s capabilities far and away outstretch my humble skills.  Plus, to my mind it looks pretty damn good too.  

If I am totally honest, (and I want to be as you seem a really nice bunch), it is more about ‘acceptance’ than anything else.  As a middle aged woman carrying a whole raft of confidence issues around anyway, trying to get accepted into the local open mic scene is hard enough anyway. There are not many women playing electric guitar around here, it is extremely male dominated.  I have been on the receiving end of a couple of comments such as “ah, you have a pretend Les Paul’, “I guess being a girl you couldn’t justify owning a Gibson” and other such charming comments. I try to just tough it out but it’s not easy.  They probably wouldn’t make those comments to a bloke but just because I have tits they seem to think it’s ok to say what they like!

I am not the kind of person who is brand orientated, I buy what I like not what is trendy but I guess I just want to try and up my chances of acceptance.  It’s wrong and I shouldn’t have to do it but...  My Tele is a Squier CV Custom and I wouldn’t swap it for any other Tele, it’s fab, and I have no problem owning and playing my Epi.  Yes of course I would love a Gibson but right now this is more about others sadly. 

Thank you you so much too for the support regarding my depression.  I have read posts that several of you had made in the past regarding your own fights with it and that’s what gave me the courage to speak up. It’s a long hard fight and thank you so much for the support, it means a lot. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    That's really sad that people can still be like that...

If you are happy with your Epi and theres no reason not to be..  Tell them to go F off.....   Nothing wrong with playing at Epi at all.. No matter if you have tits or not    A good guitar is a good guitar...  The name on the headstock means nothing, its the person playing it that's important and if you feel comfortable on it and like the way it sounds.. You don't need another guitar..

Gibsons are cool though D   But that's cos I have always loved them... It doesn't actually mean anything..

HOWEVER...  If you do go and play some and for what ever reason it gives you more confidence..  Theres nothing wrong with that either.. Gibson and Fender have the history and some amazing players who use their instruments..  That's what we are really in love with.. The music, the rest is all in your head.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    Screw what others think. FWIW there are people that make comments like that regardless of what sex you are. They are knobs and should be ignored 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    You gotta be snappy, ''ah, I see you have a pretend Gibson'' , ''ah, I see you are pretending to be a man''. Or just tell them to fuck off! (pardon my language). Really, if people like that try to bother you then you have very little to worry about.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Ah that's pure rubbish. And certainly not a good reason to spend money on a different guitar if you like yours fine. FWIW, if at some point in the future YOU want to buy a LP studio, then they are fantastic guitars IMO. Plus, if you could afford to keep your Epi, then you could get a LP studio tribute with P90s, and open up your sound options, but maintain the feel of what you like.

However, I think the priority will be to find a jam/open mic night that doesn't have sexist tossers that are threatened by the prospect of being shown up by a woman. Of course, I'm making some assumptions there, they could just be tossers.

Have you thought about joining/starting a band? It brings tons of joy, and the depression won't set in for a few months until you discover how hard it is to get 4 people in the one place at the one time, and that drummer never reads his whatsapp.

Seriously though, I have nice gear, and never ever have a problem being shown up by other players with cheaper instruments.
    I'm always a bit shocked when I hear that people have been judged because their guitar or their playing at an open mic/jam. Everyone I have played at has been really friendly and accepting - nothing but encouragement and support. We have a bit of banter - which in fairness I tend to be the receiving end of. Over the years I've come to accept that this is because on the surface I appear to be this confident got it altogether type (not the mess of anxiety that is really playing out).

With regard to being a women I'm even more shocked, one of the events I go to is hosted by a young lady who is great, she really pulls out the stops to welcome and encourage everyone. Luckily we have several ladies performing regularly on our local scene which is just normal as it should be. 

To sum up maybe you need to move it sounds like there are a right bunch of half wits around your local area ;)
    Got my blood up this one. 

There are plenty of the guys local to me with some serious kit (wealthy south stockbroker/dentist types 'playing' Martens, Taylors, PRS, Fender custom shop, Gibsons etc...) I take out my Yamaha APX and get lots comments questions because of how good it sounds not the name on the headstock. There's always someone who wants to try it, and I've let several people play it instead of their guitar.