for a set of Grovers

Image result for headstock les paul grovers

Is it a drop in situation or what?

Thanks guys  :)

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'm thinking of doing the same on my LP studio as the stock tuners tend to knock loose too easily causing tuning issues. My other LP has Grovers and its slightly better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    and............How would one go about aging (dulling really) the nickel tuners to match the aged cs Les Paul hardware?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    hootsmon said:

Is it a drop in situation or what?
    No. You need to bore out the back of the holes to 10mm.

Most people go all the way through, but in fact you don't need to, and if you stop before you get to the front face it's easier to put the original bushings back if you ever want to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just in case you didn't know - you can get good locking tuners that look just like the original vintage style ones and definitely are just a drop in.

Re: the Grovers - I'll let someone with exprience of those answer for sure but when I swapped to kind of similar Schaller ones, I had to drill new screw holes because the screw holes were off to the side. I think with those ones being at the bottom it would just depend if they line up with the existing ones or not, looks like they quite possibly would.
    edited June 2019
    Thanks John....what about the 2 screw holes (round back) on the plastic tuners versus the one screw 'ole on the Grovers?

can i expect this?

tae be or not tae be
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    thegummy said:
    Just in case you didn't know - you can get good locking tuners that look just like the original vintage style ones and definitely are just a drop in.

Re: the Grovers - I'll let someone with exprience of those answer for sure but when I swapped to kind of similar Schaller ones, I had to drill new screw holes because the screw holes were off to the side. I think with those ones being at the bottom it would just depend if they line up with the existing ones or not, looks like they quite possibly would.
    I'd be interested in these.... any idea which ones exactly? Any links would be appreciated!

Incidentally; on my main LP I've got the Grovers, but I much prefer the look of the originals - are there any good LP original style tuners that will fit into the hole of the Grovers?

(Sorry to hijack the thread!)
    hootsmon said:
    Thanks John....what about the 2 screw holes (round back) on the plastic tuners versus the one screw 'ole on the Grovers?
    You can actually see the topmost screwhole on the second photo you posted.
    Tis cool baby  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    FarleyUK said:
    thegummy said:

I'd be interested in these.... any idea which ones exactly? Any links would be appreciated!

Incidentally; on my main LP I've got the Grovers, but I much prefer the look of the originals - are there any good LP original style tuners that will fit into the hole of the Grovers?

It's GOTOH SD90

The product code for the specific ones that look like the originals but are locking is SD90-SLNMG-T

A quick Google suggests it might be quite hard to find in stock apart from eBay :(
    The screw on the Grovers should match the lower screw hole on the originals, but that's assuming Gibson lined the original heads up correctly!

Any particular reason you want to change them?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

It's GOTOH SD90

The product code for the specific ones that look like the originals but are locking is SD90-SLNMG-T

A quick Google suggests it might be quite hard to find in stock apart from eBay
    Depends if you want the locking wheel on the back or not, sorry to push an advert but we stock locking SD90 tuners without the thumbwheel,

FarleyUK said:
    thegummy said:

Schaller G-Series tuners will fit the 10 mm holes or Faber Kluson style with bolt bushing will as well.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The screw on the Grovers should match the lower screw hole on the originals, but that's assuming Gibson lined the original heads up correctly!

Any particular reason you want to change them?
    LOL you're gonna think this is MAD but i was watching an episode today of TPS,an episode called,Dan's Les Paul :)

and the sight of his cs 58 with the Grovers on left me weak at the knees
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:

LOL you're gonna think this is MAD but i was watching an episode today of TPS,an episode called,Dan's Les Paul :)

and the sight of his cs 58 with the Grovers on left me weak at the knees
    Yes, you're mad :).

If they were a drop-in fit it would be sensible, but given that there's nothing wrong with the stock tuners and it will need wood removing from the headstock, don't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    bump
    tae be or not tae be
    Oops, bumped the wrong thread  :)
    tae be or not tae be