Covers bands: (1) Your method of choosing songs; (2) What about...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    Vaiai said:
    In my last band we used Google Docs - Dropbox seemed to cause problems but Google meant we could all edit at the same time if needed and was a central location.
    We had a list of suggestions and a Y/N column for each band member if we got 3 of 5 yes - we'd give it a go. Each of us had a veto if we really hated a song!
    Sometimes we'd try a song and it would work out so well even the No's agreed it worked well - the same happened vice versa tho.
    We also use Spotify playlists but usually it's YouTube playlists - and that way we all learn the same version - as a general rule we do the Official single version as most people know that one!
    We do this. Shared Google doc with name, artist, YouTube url etc. We're very sporadic for rehearsals and have also used this to plan ahead for mutual dates that we can all meet. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Songs from films or adverts are often a good choice. It is also good if they are danceableor a sing a long. Not being a Radio head fan I was surprised by how much people like to sing along to Creep. We have a few "low maintenance" numbers often 12 bars that don't require much to keep up to scratch.
    We just put suggestions in our private FB group and send YT links then we try the songs in rehearsal.
    If something doesn't work you just need to be honest about it and move on.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Roland said:
    I love doing arrangements. Taking a song apart and rebuilding it to suit our instruments and abilities.
    When someone in the band picks a song I normally spend an hour on Youtube listening to and watching every live performance I can - by whatever artists.  I'll then pick and arrangement which suits our line-up and share it on our Facebook group.  Copying original studios versions can easily over-complicate things.  When I first tried Mr Brightside I discovered that the guy who wrote it can't start the second verse on time playing live so what chance have I got?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    We open the floodgates for suggestions every now and then. It brings in twenty songs, a quarter of which only the suggester knows them. It's narrowed down to about eight times to try and we sometimes add three of them to our set.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    We all make suggestions and supply a vid or sound link with the preferred version via group messenger. A decision is then made to try it at rehearsal where maybe 3 new songs get aired. We try to do similar to the original with all the hooks and breaks so they remain recognisable to the masses. We might make some changes like linking into another song or using an acapela section to show off our strength and slightly unique vocal talents. If it doesn't gel at rehearsal it's binned.
    I like to use what I call the Radio 2 test, am I likely to hear this song on Radio 2 scheduling. If yes, it's deemed popular or acceptable to the masses. If no, is it something we want to inflict on a dancing crowd?