Warm strat pickups?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
Any recommendations for a set of clean, warm-sounding Strat pickups?
I looking for richness and chime not ice-picky, heavy bottom-sharp top, i.e the complete opposite to those found on the MIM Classic 50's strat.

I'm re-wiring an old 70's Kimbara strat copy so am looking to avoid spending a king's ransom.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    Try something with either all Alnico 2 rod magnets or with A2 under the plain strings and A5 under the wound.

Some people like A3 on a Stratocaster. I only like it on Telecasters, P90s and humbuckers.

What fingerboard radius is the Kimbara? This will determine whether you should opt for equal length polepieces or the vintage style “stagger” pattern.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I'd agree with @Funkfingers for AL2 or AL3 pick-ups - Probably under 6k and even formvar windings

Hard to define warm - I'd use the vol pot to soften any highs and even a tweak on the tone pot, to 'warm it up' - With a good taper on the pots then subtle tweaks should produce effective results - I'm not a fan of a treble bleed cap on the vol pots but I know many are
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited June 2019
    A3 are warm .So are A2 .Tonerider Surfaris are good .wire your bridge up to a tone pot on any strat as a starter .Alters the guitar completely I find. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10656
    tFB Trader
    I'd agree with @Funkfingers for AL2 or AL3 pick-ups - Probably under 6k and even formvar windings

Hard to define warm - I'd use the vol pot to soften any highs and even a tweak on the tone pot, to 'warm it up' - With a good taper on the pots then subtle tweaks should produce effective results - I'm not a fan of a treble bleed cap on the vol pots but I know many are
    I would go for mixed magnet sets: alnico 5 for the bass strings, alnico 2 or 3 for the treble.
    Fender themselves never used anything but alnico 5 for Strat pickups in their original vintage pickups
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6760
    I asked a similar question and Lollar Blackface set seemed to be a great recommendation. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    Suhr V60LP. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Probably easiest to just roll the tone knob off a bit? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3266
    I’m a big fan of the custom shop fat 50s. It’s one of the rare occasions that I have no idea what the spec is -I just like how they sound. Don’t set them too close to the strings and you have warmth and clarity aplenty. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    If you want a cost effective solution try these from Entwistle, sound absolutely excellent through my Mesa Maverick. 

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=AS+57
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Branshen said:
    Probably easiest to just roll the tone knob off a bit? 
    I was thinking that but was worried about coming across as patronising.

For the definition of "warm" that's generally used (at least in audio engineering), basically meaning less high frequencies, turning the tone knob down will definitely make it sound warmer.

But the problem with audio descriptions like that is that people use them for different things. The "looking for richness and chime" suggested to me he might not just be looking for what I'd call warmth; i.e. less high frequencies.

To me, "chime" isn't something I'd associate with "warmth".

I think anything beyond the simple "brighter = more high frequencies", "warmer/darker = less high frequencies" is getting in to territory of subjective abstract terms and can quickly become useless for communication because people will use the same words to describe completely different things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I asked more or less the same question a few weeks ago regarding A3’s.I much prefer them in a Tele and how A3’s would transfer over to a Strat. I wanted smooth, a bit warm, a bit mellow, but still sounding like a ‘typical’ Strat. A5’s have always sounded too ‘direct’, but that’s my ears, taste and gear.

The basic answer came back as, yes, the qualities I like in the Tele A3’s will transfer over to A3’s in a Strat. So, I’ll be getting a set the Mojo Specials which are a tad overwound A3’s.

Dont know if that helps.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
    I had already tried the to role off the tone as suggested, obviously this is the first thing that ones does, but it doesn't achieve what I'm looking for as it is a bit of a blunt stick. I noticed that the response of the lace sensors on my old strat plus deluxe is more akin to what I'm looking for, perhaps with a bit more bite. I mostly use the neck pickup when playing and one of my all time favourite single-coil/neck-position combo is that on my Squier 50s CV telecaster so if I can translate that to the Kimbara so thanks for that info @Zoolooter.

I think I'll probably go for a mixed magnet set as recommended by @Funkfingers, @guitars4you and @OilCityPickups so thanks for the advice folks.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:
    I had already tried the to role off the tone as suggested, obviously this is the first thing that ones does, but it doesn't achieve what I'm looking for as it is a bit of a blunt stick. I noticed that the response of the lace sensors on my old strat plus deluxe is more akin to what I'm looking for, perhaps with a bit more bite. I mostly use the neck pickup when playing and one of my all time favourite single-coil/neck-position combo is that on my Squier 50s CV telecaster so if I can translate that to the Kimbara so thanks for that info @Zoolooter.

I think I'll probably go for a mixed magnet set as recommended by @Funkfingers, @guitars4you and @OilCityPickups so thanks for the advice folks.
    Those Lace Sensor p/ups are a lot 'darker' in tone to a traditional Strat p/up - I'm a Strat Plus fan so I know where you are coming from - But a traditional vintage flavoured pick-up is more 'crisp' and the Lace Sensor far more 'chilled' - Maybe Ash at @OilCityPickups can add to this and suggest something more suitable