Guitar Leads... Simple Question

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3046
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

That cable is a PITA. Too thick. Workable, but only just.
    That’s true, although Neutrik NP2Cs fit well and right-angle NP2Xs reasonably - it’s just straight NP2Xs that are a real problem.

It’s just such nice cable it seems a shame not to put good plugs on it...
    You should start a small sideline selling modified Fender CS cables - the tweed ones look so cool, that's probably why people buy them, so if they could buy ones where the big weakness has been overcome they might well do so as long as it can be done realistically economically.
    I do in fact offer just such a service :)

It's still a PITA though!

R.
    May I ask what kind of prices? I'm kind of imagining it might be too much more than normal Van Damme cables to be worth it just for the cool looking cable, even more so if it's a pain to do, but maybe I'm wrong and it's worth at least getting 1 or 2?
    Basically, I charge the cost of the plugs plus a small labour charge. You'll also need to pay postage both ways.

I also offer Sommer Classique cloth covered cable, which has the same appearance as the Fender cables. 

Send me a PM with what you want and I'll do you a quote. I'd do one now but am en route home from Vancouver and about to take off from LHR! 

R. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5171
    edited June 2019
    Sassafras said:
    At $260 for 15 ft of cable the Zaolla stuff seems a bit of an indulgence. Has a whiff of Russ Andrews about it.
    I've got a 20 footer, and yes, I'm worth it...hee hee. 

I've also got a couple of the little 8 inch Zaolla patch cables - one of which I managed to fuck up, how does one actually fook up a patch cable you may very well ask, beats the shit out of me, but I have -  for when I really need to admit to having lost my mind.

It makes the Cornish stuff almost appear cheap. 
    I've got various Zaolla cables and patch leads. I didn't think they were horrendously priced when i got them a few years ago... I've got a 15ft cable i never use as i only play at home
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

That’s true, although Neutrik NP2Cs fit well and right-angle NP2Xs reasonably - it’s just straight NP2Xs that are a real problem.

You should start a small sideline selling modified Fender CS cables - the tweed ones look so cool, that's probably why people buy them, so if they could buy ones where the big weakness has been overcome they might well do so as long as it can be done realistically economically.

R.
    May I ask what kind of prices? I'm kind of imagining it might be too much more than normal Van Damme cables to be worth it just for the cool looking cable, even more so if it's a pain to do, but maybe I'm wrong and it's worth at least getting 1 or 2?
    Basically, I charge the cost of the plugs plus a small labour charge. You'll also need to pay postage both ways.

I also offer Sommer Classique cloth covered cable, which has the same appearance as the Fender cables. 

Send me a PM with what you want and I'll do you a quote. I'd do one now but am en route home from Vancouver and about to take off from LHR! 

R. 
    Ah right I was thinking just selling the whole thing, didn't realise you meant modding a cable I'd have to buy and send.
  • tone1 said:
    Sassafras said:
    At $260 for 15 ft of cable the Zaolla stuff seems a bit of an indulgence. Has a whiff of Russ Andrews about it.
    I've got a 20 footer, and yes, I'm worth it...hee hee. 

I've also got a couple of the little 8 inch Zaolla patch cables - one of which I managed to fuck up, how does one actually fook up a patch cable you may very well ask, beats the shit out of me, but I have -  for when I really need to admit to having lost my mind.

It makes the Cornish stuff almost appear cheap. 
    I've got various Zaolla cables and patch leads. I didn't think they were horrendously priced when i got them a few years ago... I've got a 15ft cable i never use as i only play at home
    Have a look at the price of replacing the buggers...$260 for your 15 footer. 

Seems like an ideal selling situation if you ain't using it...to the classifieds was the cry.....................
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5171
    edited June 2019
    Blimey, there’s a 10ft on Reverb for £123....I’ve bought guitars for less than that...
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/518881-zaolla-silverline-10-guitar-cable

Zaolla website list 6” patch cables at $99 each...I’ve got 2x10” patch leads :o
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

R.

R. 
    Ah right I was thinking just selling the whole thing, didn't realise you meant modding a cable I'd have to buy and send.
    I could possibly do that too - just not thought of it! 

R. 
  • MarihinoMarihino Frets: 0
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

R.

R. 
    I thought it was more aimed at people who own the cables already but may be concerned about long term reliability. Like me. Have had I think 5 of of them for years, bought for looks, wouldn't mind something more flexible, but no reason to change as they don't break (so far). Probably a good idea to put better plugs on them. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 644
    Twenty-two years ago, I bought a Van Damme with a Neutrik at each end; one of the more sensible decisions I made at that time, as it turns out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    I just checked when I bought mine........I got a LAVA - Clear Connect 15' from Allparts over 7 years ago. Although not gigged, it's been a very durable lead.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3501
    In fairness FCS cables have a life time warranty, so keep the receipt! 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12375
    I’ve got a coily bullet cable that I’ve used nearly every day for the last 10+ years. I haven’t treated it with kid gloves, it just gets chucked in the box I think it was about £25. I haven’t had to repair it yet. I’ve also got a tweedy Fender one that is going a bit dodgy. I’ve had that one about 8yrs.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    edited June 2019
    This is a Public Service Announcement - right now on Amazon the following Designacable leads are heavily discounted.  When they're gone, they're gone.

You'll see that if you change to a different cable colour the other variants aren't discounted, Amazon seem to do this when they have just one or two leads left in stock.  The price gradually creeps down until it sells.

Take note of the jacks at each end of these cables, there are a number of variants.

4 metre vintage braid, reduced from £17.86 to £11.73:

5 metre vintage braid, reduced from £22.76 to £10.89

5 metre white, reduced from £14.85 to £7.13

8 metres black & blue braid, reduced from £31.69 to £15.49

3 metres Sommer, reduced from £19.34 to £14.34

2 metres black, reduced from £16.41 to £11.75

5 metres black & blue braid, reduced from £24.45 to £16.66
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited June 2019
    What have people against calling to a music shop and buying a cable or a few cables after having looked at the stock in the shop?  It is not as if guitars and amps/FX pedals have strange or unusual connection sockets at each end. Standard quarter inch jacks will be found at each end of every guitar cable in the shop.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    What have people against calling to a music shop and buying a cable or a few cables after having looked at the stock in the shop?  It is not as if guitars and amps/FX pedals have strange or unusual connection sockets at each end. Standard quarter inch jacks will be found at each end of every guitar cable in the shop.
    Not all cables are equal, and not all jacks are equal. Shops don't always sell good quality cables.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rocker said:
    Mainly that the ones sold in shops break more easily and quickly than the ones recommended in this thread.

Also your option takes several hours and takes traveling to a shop compared to a minute or two to buy one online.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    revsorg said:
    This is a Public Service Announcement - right now on Amazon the following Designacable leads are heavily discounted.  When they're gone, they're gone.

You'll see that if you change to a different cable colour the other variants aren't discounted, Amazon seem to do this when they have just one or two leads left in stock.  The price gradually creeps down until it sells.

Take note of the jacks at each end of these cables, there are a number of variants.

4 metre vintage braid, reduced from £17.86 to £11.73:

5 metre vintage braid, reduced from £22.76 to £10.89

5 metre white, reduced from £14.85 to £7.13

8 metres black & blue braid, reduced from £31.69 to £15.49

3 metres Sommer, reduced from £19.34 to £14.34

2 metres black, reduced from £16.41 to £11.75

5 metres black & blue braid, reduced from £24.45 to £16.66
    Thanks for that - I didn’t really need any cables but seem to have just bought three!  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Thanks to whoever bought the 5 metre white cable - I was suffering an almost overwhelming urge to buy that which was why I distracted myself by telling everyone else about it :s
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    edited June 2019
    I have a 15 foot cable made by robinbowes, noticeable improvement in sound quality over similar length fender tweed custom shop cable.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    thegummy said:

Also your option takes several hours and takes traveling to a shop compared to a minute or two to buy one online.

Sorry, but have to call you out on this one.

Whilst I agree with supporting forum members and their businesses I really do hate the obsession with buying everything online.

Support your local shop (whatever hobby you have) and that shop will always be there, everybody has needed something quickly and had to pop to their local emporium. Once the high street has been destroyed because of online shopping it's over.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3501
    I agree, I try and use a local shop whenever possible.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.