Best 7 string under £500?

What's Hot
Hi all,

I sold my RG7321 a few years ago but I've been bitten by the 7 string bug again recently.

What would you recommend under £500? Happy to go for good condition used, was thinking about maybe the Jackson HT7 (Misha Mansoor) if I can find a good used one outside of eBay. 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4202
    I keep thinking about a 7-string, but I don't think I'll get on with it, so I'm reluctant to spend any money on one, as I'll probably be selling it shortly afterwards! That said though, there's a guy on Facebook selling an Agile Septor 727 for £300 or a trade... I'm toying with the idea of seeing if he'd be interested in my Squier
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• They’re certainly not for everyone. If you’re really just looking to see if you’ll get on with one then the most basic Ibanez and Jackson models are good for getting a feel of it. 

I should elborate on my question; I’m looking for step up from something like a JS-22 7 or RG7321.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    I had a very well made Schecter Damien Elite 8 a few years ago, they were well under £500 used
    To me, it was USA-strat quality level
    I'd say consider their models at this level.
    I was so impressed I bought a new 30 inch baritone 6 string version, which I realised was more suitable for me
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2412
    edited June 2019
    Schecter C-7, Ibanezes, Chapman ML-7s can all be had for under £500. Occasionally the odd PRS SE Custom 24 7 string pops up under that mark. Oh, and there are loads of Epiphone Matt Heafy models for around £400. 

Of all these, I'd say finding a good Schecter C-7 is probably the best bang for buck. 26.5" scale, EMGs or Duncans, and regularly available used for £350ish - guitarguitar had a used one for £300 a few weeks back.
    Tim
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    A s/h PRS SE 7 string ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    edited June 2019
    There’s an RG7620 for £500 on eBay at the
    moment. One of the best 7 strings made, maybe put an offer of £450 and see what happens
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Japanese Ibanez, without a doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks all. I'm away for a couple of weeks at the moment so I'll probably be looking when I get back, at the moment just trying to gauge what I should look at. 

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I keep thinking about a 7-string, but I don't think I'll get on with it, so I'm reluctant to spend any money on one, as I'll probably be selling it shortly afterwards! That said though, there's a guy on Facebook selling an Agile Septor 727 for £300 or a trade... I'm toying with the idea of seeing if he'd be interested in my Squier
    It often crosses my mind to get one just for something different (same with a 5 string bass) but the idea of having to re-memorise a whole new row of notes and, even more so, having an extra string to have to mute (particularly on the bass) is what puts me off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom